Tuesday, 10 October 2017

The Shed Story :: Part 1

Hello Lovelies,
If you have been reading my blog for a while I'm sure this view of our garden is familiar. Last year we spent quiet a lot of time and effort improving the garden, building a raised bed and painting the shed. It was all looking rather nice in the spring when this photo was taken.


well, maybe not this corner. This "rockery" was always a messy disappointment.


Anyway, that does not matter now, because it is no more.


Neither is the decking, which I did like.


Or the shed...though we have saved that to hopefully rebuild elsewhere.


The reason for all this destruction was a plan we had hatched to build a workshop. It's going to be somewhere eldest can hone his woodworking skills initially, though I hope it will be used by all the family as the years go by. 

By June we were digging out the footprint, it's quiet big ( 6 meters by 4).


It was a lot of work and created a LOT of mess. I did not enjoy seeing my garden looking like this. It was quiet depressing to see is disappear under the soil heap. 


"Thankfully" there was no view out of the window anyway, due to the storage of materials on the patio :0)


Hubby had managed to source lots of free wood and I naively though this would be super cheap project at this stage. Wrong. Things like these joists still had to be purchased, and wood is expensive.


But the whole idea was to give our boys a practical project to work on with hubby's guidance. Yes we could have bought a kit, but if this project is a success it should be a much more satisfying and longer lasting result.


A skip was needed to get rid of the soil heap.


Here they were adding insulation under the floor, because, well one day I may need a cosy studio ...eeek :0)


Eldest made me smile when he made this cardboard model. I tried holding it up at arms length to get an idea of how the shed may look. Not sure that worked :0)


Back to reality, here are some free windows my brother in law donated.


We have had quiet a few delays in the build, but finally by late September things were coming together.


I'll be so glad when this shed has a proper roof and we can dispense with the ugly tarpaulins.


So, it's now October and this is about  as far as we have got. The days are getting shorter, wetter and windier. 


  Our shed is still in the ugly duckling phase, but I have every faith that it will be much easier on the eye when it's complete. There's just so much still to do before winter sets in. I'm trying not to stress about it.

Back with more progress shots in a while.

p.s. Thank you so much for your concerned comments om my last post. Things are much better this week. I'll take shed worries any day.
Jacquie x