Wednesday 5 May 2010

Colourful Crochet Bunting

Firstly I must say a BIG THANK YOU to you lovely lot for all your comments.
I was really chuffed to get 12 comments for my Bunting post.I think everyone likes positive feedback for their efforts,it certainly makes my day !!

I've been busy with more bunting amongst all the family stuff this weekend.Crochet version this time!
I've seen some lovely examples here and here

I'm sure you've spotted my version in my new header photo.Here are few more shots of it looking jolly in the garden...........








I think it looks cheerful, and it made him smile...........



I played around with my own pattern till I was happy with it and I want to share it with you .
So here goes with my second tutorial...

It's written in U.S. terms ....


Start chain 4 and join to form ring.Then chain 4 ( counts as 1 DC chain 1 )



Round 1- make DC chain 1 ,8 times in ring and slip stitch into third chain of initial 4 chains to form circle (9 stitches in total )fasten off.




Round 2- With second colour join in any 1 chain space .Chain 3 (counts as 1 DC )2 DC in same space.




3 DC in next 1 chain space of round 1.3 DC in each space around (9 clusters in total )slip stitch into third chain of initial 3 chain . Fasten off.



Round 3- In this round you are forming the triangle .Join next colour in any space between clusters of round 2 .Chain 3( counts as first DC ),2 DC in same space ,chain 3 ,3 DC in same space .This is first corner made. Next make 3 HDC (half double crochet ) in next cluster space.....



And 3 HDC in next cluster space .

Next form second corner cluster like this...
3 DC ,chain 3 ,3 DC all in next cluster space .Then form next straight edge with 2 ,3 HDC clusters in next 2 cluster spaces .



Make third corner in same way as second ,make third straight edge as before. Join with slip stitch to complete round.



You now have a cute little triangle with a pretty flower center .I'm sure this would make great mini bunting .As mine was intended for the garden I carried on adding 3 more rows.

These following rows are made in the same way as round 3 except the straight edges are made of 3 DC clusters instead of HDC.
Round 4...



Round 5....





Round 6....



A rather curly triangle !! Time for some blocking.....



To do this I pinned the triangles onto a foam cushion with a towel for protection .I then misted them with water and left them 24 hours to dry thoroughly .
This is the result.........





To string them together I simply made a reeeeeeeeely long chain using 2 colours of yarn held together and threaded them though the spaces in the top edge....





This was quick and easy and meant the spacing can be altered to suit different positions.




Phew that post took ages ........I'm sure it will come in handy for me too ,in case I want to make anymore in the future :0)

Jacquie x

36 comments:

  1. This is FAB! I have had bunting on my brain constantly lately and this is just tops! Thank you so much for your tutorial I can't wait to get onto those lovely triangles xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! Thank you for that. It does really look great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fabulous! Might just have a go!
    Love to you and thanks
    Hugs Suex

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooooooooooooooh crochet bunting!
    I love crochet bunting, yours is an especially nice pattern, one I may have to try...I made some basic granny bunting a while back and its in my back room window but yours has the edge with the cute circle centre...love it! Thanks for sharing the pattern!

    Julia x x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I really love this Jacquie!! You are so clever! I have bunting envy Big Time!!
    I really need to set aside a week to work on mastering crochet!
    Love the colours!
    Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this!! Do I recognise some of those lovely colours?? We have a little Budda chap in our garden too. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice bunting and great tutorial! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love it! Will try your tutorial too, when I've finished the bunting I'm currently working on - can never have too many bunting now, can we?!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love colourful crochet and a tutorial as well.....double bonus.

    Yours is beautiful by the way....a cheerful delight.

    Have a fabulous weekend,

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Jacquie, the knitting Nanas are great hehe! I think special yarns are great for special projects, I think to use expensive yarn for everything is daft and would make crochet a really expensive hobby especially if you get through projects quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful blog! many colors and your crocheting is very nice.
    Greetings from Uruguay
    Xime

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well i stayed here till I made the first one.. Very pleased with it.. So now I will make a Christmas bunting :))
    Thankyou for making the pattern available to us ..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jacquie. I seem to have a bit of a bunting obsession lately. I would love to share this pattern at Tangled Happy next week. This one would be perfect for my little Isabel's room! And if you don't mind I would also like to highlight your hexagon pattern. Thank you for sharing your beautiful blog. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really do love your bunting and thank you for sharing your pattern I am going to give it a go - thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Right after I did the third round to make the triangle shape I held out my mini bunting and looked at it and though, "Wow, this is so cute!"

    Then I read "You now have a cute little triangle with a pretty flower center" and laughed because I couldn't have agreed more! =]

    I'm really loving this tutorial, it was exactly what I was looking for! Oh, I found you through MeMe Rose's blog, which I found through Lucy's Attic blog.
    http://meme-rose.blogspot.com/2011/03/bunting.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Jacquie, I just wanted to let you know that I made your bunting (loads of it!) and I've blogged about it if you want to see my photos: http://thecraftersapprentice.blogspot.com/2011/04/banning-of-bunting.html Thanks so much for the pattern, it was really addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Melanie,I really love your bunting, Ive wanted to make some for ages,I m going to have a go later and I ll let you know how I get on.
    Thanks so much for shARING how you made it.juliex(thriftymissus)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Bunny Mummy,
    I just wrote a blog entry all about crocheted buntings and I just want to tell you that I posted a link to your brilliant tutorial.

    I love all your colorful pictures, especially when you were playing around with different ways of displaying the triangles. I also think you're a genius for threading the chain through the granny spaces rather than having to attach them at the top.

    Thanks for the inspiration,
    Liza

    http://thebeloveddove.blogspot.com/2011/06/obsession-with-crocheted-buntings.html?showComment=1308495137806#c1212578941507612549

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your site is the best thing that could happen to me today.....

    Love it love it love it!!!!!
    Petro South Africa

    PS keep on hooking I am new to this and found your site all I needed to get me GOING!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your bunting looks so lovely, I have been looking at different bunting and hoping to have a go and your instructions and pictures look great to follow, thank you very much, will be having a go soon and fingers crossed they turn out well x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for sharing the bunting. I just started up a batch. I love looking through your blog - the colors and projects are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is an awesome and fast pattern. Thanks for posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Jacquie, Me and my friend are inspired with this lovely bunting and made one for ourselves. Here is my attempt. Thank you so much for this lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for sharing this pattern, it will be my next project.
    Hugs
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for sharing this and making it easy to follow - its the easiest instructions i've found. I've done it in red, white and blue for the jubilee

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm making this for the Burntisland Jubilee Street Fair in Fife. Thank you for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  27. They are great! Check my result on my blog! Thanx!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just found your blog from crochetincolor blog (which is great!) and I love your patterns and work! This bunting especially! I have seen lots of crocheted bunting, but I think yours is the best :) I love how you strung it. It looks delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  29. how wonderful! I am new to your blog and I am hooked. lol pun not intended. Thank you so much for your wonderfully creative mind!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi, i make one and it's wonderfull, now i make more and more and more :):):):) Thanks for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi, what a wonderfull idea! I saw your tutorial and I wanted to make my own bunting. And so i did. I am from holland and i also have a blog. I just posted some pictures of my bunting on my blog. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love this post so much as soon as I saw saw it I had to make it......I've posted on my blog pictures of the beginings of my bunting and mentioned you would love it if you could take a look. Thanks for sharing :)forgetmenotsblue.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  33. Quinton wench sent me! Love your blog n projects! New follower now crocheting! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Very nice,
    I used the pattern to make a miniature tent for my pet rat. It turned out great and he loves it =]

    ReplyDelete
  35. Gorgeous - you have shared some lovely tutorials. I love the colours you use. I just need to learn to crochet now!!

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.