Friday 1 October 2010

Button Closure for Crochet Cushions



Hello lovelies ,hope your Friday is going well. Firstly I must say THANK YOU SO MUCH for your comments.You lot are really the best :0)

After a hectic work day yesterday it was such a nice surprise to return home to 23 lovely comments on my cushion.

A few of you asked about how I make my button closure.I'm more than happy to share my method ,which is just made up by me, I'm not sure what others do.

So here goes-

When using this method I finish both halves with 2 rows of U.K. double ( U.S. single crochet) .This serves two purposes.
1. It means that when the two sides are sewn together you end up with 4 rows of close stitches around the edge which looks neat and holds its shape well...



2. It also means I can make simple button holes on one side of one half.
I really don't think it matters if the buttonholes are worked in the back or front.
What does matter is making sure they are not too far apart. ....



As you can see from this picture, in this cushion there are only 3 stitches between buttonholes. This means you don't end up with the pad showing through,as I have had happen in the past.

The buttonholes are simply made by skipping 2 stitches in the last row and chaining 2 before D.C. (UK) S.C. (US) in the third stitch of previous row.
I hope this makes sense. Remember you can always click on my pictures to enlarge them.
If you have bigger buttons you may need to adjust the size of your buttonholes accordingly.

Once you have finished making enough buttonholes,which will depend on the size of your cushion,complete the row and finish off.

I join the two halves by putting them right sides together and over sewing in outer loops only.Remember to leave an opening on the buttonhole edge.

Once the two sides are joined turn the cushion right sides out and attach your buttons opposite the buttonholes.......


Well I hope this helps , feel free to ask if anything is still not clear.
Hope you have a great weekend .
Jacquie x

17 comments:

  1. It´s totally clear, Jacquie!!!
    Thanks a lot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Jacquie, this is GREAT! Thanks so much!!!

    I visited your blog today thinking "I wonder if Jacquie has left a reply-comment about her buttons, since I left a comment asking..." and, no, you haven't left a comment on your last post - you've created a whole entire post explaining it all! So very, very nice of you to take the time to do that!

    Yes, it is very clear and seems very easy and I can't wait to try it. A thousand thank yous!!
    Caz :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you have gone and done it now, yesterday I decided to just sew the two sides of my cushion together, but now I've changed my mind again, you have made it look so easy to use buttons.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodie...now I can put buttons on mine when I'm finished. That's a first for me. I hope you don't mind I'm totally copying you by making this pillow exactly like yours! Glad you saw the link back to you.

    Thanks for the button instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jacquie, thank you so much! I was wondering how you did it and now I know! Have a great weekend my dear! Lots of love, Amanda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's crystal clear - thank you for showing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is great - easy to understand. Thank you for sharing this. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been musing on this problem for the last week, then I read your post, problem solved!! Thank you very very much!!!!
    Janey

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Jacquie for the nice comment on my blog and thank you very much for the button instructions, it is so lovely! I'll try it on my next cushion :)
    Have a perfect evening!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is great. Totally easy to understand

    ReplyDelete
  11. This button closure is so well explained and just what I need for my granny square cushion when it is finished!

    Thank you for the very clear instructions.

    Zinnia

    ReplyDelete
  12. hermoso, muchas gracias por la ayuda!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. thank you for your sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just found this post and it was exactly what I needed to finish a pillow I am making for my daughter at college! Thanks!
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  15. this may be really obvious-but how do you sew the buttons on? i'm using ones w/a shank-thread? same yarn? thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brilliant simple and clear, just what I've been looking for. I hope you don't mind me linking to this page on my blog.

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.