Wednesday 14 April 2010

Mini Hexagon Pattern




Well here's my first attempt at writing at pattern....
Let me know if you encounter any problems and I will try to help.

When you get to my description of a bobble stitch please try not to panic,it's not as difficult as it looks written down !! it's just 2 incomplete double crochet joined at the top . There are video tutorials on the web,but be aware some are for a bobble made of 3 stitches ,mine's made of only 2 ( hope this makes sense)
Here goes....

Mini Crochet Hexagons
Pattern is written in U.S. terms (sorry I know I'm not in the U.S. but I read so many U.S. patterns I find it easier to work this way )
U.S. half double crochet = U.K.half treble crochet

To start chain 4....



Join with slip stitch to form a ring




Round 1 ....
Chain 2





1 double crochet(U.K. treble) into ring ,chain 2






work 1 bobble stitch into ring
(bobble stitch= yarn over,insert hook into ring,yarn over,pull back through ring...3 loops on hook....
yarn over, pull through 2 loops....2 loops on hook....
yarn over,insert hook through ring again , yarn over , pull back through ring...4 loops on hook.....
yarn over , pull through 2 loops ....3 loops on hook....
yarn over , pull through all 3 loops,bobble complete)



chain 2



work bobble stitch , chain 2 , into ring 4 more times then join with a slip stitch into top of first double crochet( 6 clusters in total)





Round 2 ....
slip stitch into next 2 chain space





chain 2 , 1 half double crochet into 2 chain space of round 1....( half double crochet is,yarn over,insert hook into 2 chain space of round 1,yarn over,pull back through chain space...3 loops on hook.... yarn over,pull through all 3 loops)

Chain 1 ,2 half double crochet into same 2 chain space




into the next 2 chain space work...(2 half double crochet,chain 1,2 half double crochet)





repeat 4 more times....

slip stitch into second chain at beginning of round 2





You have completed your first mini hexagon.....




When you get the hang of these they really are quick and simple.Honestly!!!
I can make 1 in 3 minutes.
Another thing you might like to consider hook size.I've made mine with double knitting (u.k. term) yarn and a 4mm hook.This makes the motif quite stiff ,which is great for a cushion cover. If you wanted it to be softer,you could go up a hook size or 2 to ,say, a 5mm hook. This will make the motif a bit bigger but also more flexible.Changing the weight or type of yarn will also create differing effects. Play around a bit till you get the effect you need for your project.
Here's two hexagons made with different sized hooks.....




4mm and 5mm .
A 1mm change in hook size makes a 1cm change in motif size .The larger size is also more open and less stiff.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've joined mine by sewing them together as this makes the shape more definite. You hold two hexagons together ,right sides facing , and whip stitch,catching only the outer part of corresponding stitches...



when you find yourself at the wrong place to start attaching the next hexagon ,I simply threaded my needle through the wrong side of the motif and came out in the desired spot...



And continue stitching as before...




I expect you could join them by crocheting them together with slip stitch,though I haven't tried it myself


I'll stop waffleing on now and leave you to give it a try...have fun !!


Jacquie x

51 comments:

  1. Thank you, Thank you, Thank youuuuuuuu xxxx can't wait to copy...yes even your colours because they are stunning xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. This is great. I would love to try it in a slighly heavy cotton. I think it would make a fantastic centrepiece for the coffee table.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh - lovely - I might try this later (ie if I ever do the ironing I'm supposed to be doing!) Love your blog.
    Lynn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look lovely - I will definately give them a try. I have learnt US crochet terms too, so that'll be one less confusion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, I am off out to get a hook and some wool tomorrow and I am going to have a bash at that..x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Popped in to Hobby craft today, got a hook and some wool, off to watch the utube on how to Crochet now..x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab tutorial!

    Wanted to let you know I changed my blog name and address - hope you will 'visit' me there still!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this, I'm definitely going to give this a go. I'm from the UK too but learned to crochet using US terms and now can't work out UK stitch names. Such a pity as all the patterns I find here are (obviously) written in UK stitches. I have a really, really nice afghan pattern but can't work out what the stitches are, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To change from uk to us stitches just go down a st. uk dtr is us tr uk tr is us dc uk dc is us sc

      Delete
  9. I found your lovely blog after a visit with-- well right now I can't remember where was visiting--but anyways-- I have become addicted to your mini hexies. Yours is a wonderfully easy pattern and my little hexies are so cute. I would like to make a cushion cover with them but am not sure how to put it together. Any tips? Maybe even another of your superb tutorials? Thanks--

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a beginner to crochet, these instructions were so clear. I have made 3 hexies with varying degrees of sucess this evening. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for this tutorial! I just followed it and actually made an incredibly adorable mini hexagon! I can't believe how easy it is and now want to make a lot more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adore these! They are so super fun and addictive! Thanks for the wonderful tut!
    xoxo
    Grace Ann

    ReplyDelete
  13. Many thanks for sharing the tutorial -I'll really like to try these!!
    Wish you a nice day
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  14. love your mini hexagons, they are so cute! I will give these a try very soon. I have taught my self to crochet and really enjoy it. these will be so good to do in front of the tv. I love hexagons and have just done my first ever blanket,,,a african flower blanket, and am on a second now..a ripple blanket but would now love a mini hexy one ! thanks for the tutorial. sue~n.z.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello,

    that is so great.

    thank you Conny

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do like this tutuorial Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello!! I admire your beautiful work. I have been following your blog for quite some time now. Thanks for the great tutorial. Just a quick question, do you block the hexagons and then stitch them together?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, this is lovely! I've been itching to do a blanket, and I think this will work perfectly as a baby blanket for my husband's best friends' new baby. Thank you for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  19. thank you for such a wonderful tutorial. I am going to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a wonderful pattern. Very simple and very easy to follow. Plus I love how small they are! (BTW, this is a pentagon, with 5 sides, a hexagon has 7 sides) :-P

    www.familybugs.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hexagon has 6 sides heptagon has 7 sides

      Delete
  21. Thanks for this tutorial. I will use it to make a blanket with 1,019 hexagons ... Will you visit???

    http://teresavagalume.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have made a bunch of these and am now wondering about putting a border around them so that they all have a matching border to sew them together with, any ideas on how to do that??

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just a quick question - i am new to crochet and saw your heart bunting.... lovely
    I've a new very preemie granddaughter and I thought these adorable hearts might
    cheer the new Mom..... a bit confused however as your pattern makes mention of hdc and htc and in all of the tutorials on You tube there seems only instructions on the UK version.... how then is the US version made?
    thanx for your lovely work , inspiration and assistance.

    ReplyDelete
  24. BEAUTIFUL!!!! thank you so much for sharing!!!<3

    ReplyDelete
  25. Jacquie-
    Thanks so much for these instructions. I haven't crocheted in maybe 40 years (!) and I'm feeling uncommonly dense about it, but I am having trouble with the hexagons. I can do it but I don't get it. I think I've formulated a question that may help me, if you can answer it. The inner part of the hexagon is like a six-petaled flower around the initial chain. Is the double crochet that comes first the first "petal" and are the bobble stitches the other 5 petals? If not, I don't know what the double crochet is there for.
    Let me know if the question is unclear and I'll try to put it a better way. Thanks for any help you can give.
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Eva , the chain 2 and 1 double crochet make the first petal and the 5 bobble stitches make the remaining petals.....so glad to hear you and crocheting again after all this time....have fun :0)
      Jacquie x

      Delete
  26. oh dear. a new addiction! easy peasy and quick, thank you for this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Brilliant! This is a great tutorial and the first I've tried that's actually gotten me the hex I was looking for. Thank you for explaining the different crochet stitches. My hex looks great! Now to make a couple hundred more....

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wonderful tutorial. Thank you. I'm sitting here with a perfect hexagon.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a charming pattern - just what I was looking for in a portable project. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. this is beautiful!! *bookmarks page*

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for your pretty and easy to follow pattern Jacquie. I made a scarf for a friend for Christmas which she has named her flower scarf! Hooking the hexagons was very thrapeutic in a hectic run up to Christmas!
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love this pattern - thank you so much for sharing it!
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  33. LOVE! thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks so much for this awesome, well-written tutorial. So easy to follow! I featured you on my new site, http://crochetgranny.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great pattern, I am well and truly hooked. I have two projects going with different types of yarn. When I get bored with one type hex, I just move to the other. Each hex is very quick and theraputic to make up. I even labeled paper bags with the project name and hook size so I can make and drop. I plan to sew them together every few days to check my progress.Thank you so much. You and your blog are wonderful and inspiring, I feel honored to read about your life and work. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love these! They work up so quickly it is really rewarding seeing results so fast. I am planning them to be a blanket for a friends new baby, but I am wondering, how did you finish yours? Do you have a way to give it a straight edge or just do a border round the hex shapes when it is the tight size?

    ReplyDelete
  37. DEFINETLY gonna do this one! Absolutely adorable! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hello Jacquie
    To find an easy translation for de paterns go to garnstudio.com
    Hope e lot of your readers can use this tip, greatings Ria

    ReplyDelete
  39. Glad I happened across this one too. I'm about to start crocheting a set of curtains using hexagons. They are always so hard to join for me. Thanks!šŸ˜Š

    ReplyDelete
  40. Maybe you'd be interested to see one interpretation of what it can be made with the hexis from your pattern : I've just finished a big blenket with some hexis ... you can find it here : http://woolandcats.blogspot.fr/2015/04/my-blue-mini-hexagons-and-ripples.html

    Thanks for having shared this pattern .... have a lovely day !
    Best regards, GĆ©raldine

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thanks a lot for this easy version for hexagons. I can reduce my woolbox in the next month. THANKS !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. You should definitely try the magic circle start for granny squares if you haven't already. It's life changing! It doesn't get stiff trying to fit stitches in the chain circle and you can pull it tight so there is no hole.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I cannot thank you enough for this. I'm relatively new to crochet and this is my first "pattern," as prior to this I've been following video tutorials. You made it so easy. These are adorable and I cannot wait to either turn them into a scarf or a throw pillow (or both!). I am so happy I found your site.

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.