Friday 23 April 2010

Crochet Embellished Bag

Hello ,
I've got another F.O. to share with you lovelies!!!!
This one was a super quick makeover ,and I'm so pleased how it's turned out .....

Yesterday I found this shopping bag in a local charity shop.....



Nice turquoise colour (one of my favourites ) .Shame about the design on the front :0(

Never mind , I thought I would be able to do something in , say , patchwork to cover that. As it only cost .....




I thought it had to be worth a try.

I started getting inspiration by looking at patchwork bags on flickr .I found some lovely examples Here and here

When I was pondering the best way to attach fabric I realised the bag was reversible,and looked just as good inside out!!!

Oooooooooohhhhh maybe I could just add some crochet embellishment instead, something quick and colourful.

I headed back to Flickr and checked my favourites..........this is what I chose to make...



This is my interpretation of a flower made by Lucy at Attic 24.Here's her version .So colourful any very much her lovely style . There's no pattern as it was from her pre-bloging days ,so I just tried to copy from the photo.
My version ended up with 7 petals instead of 6. I'm very pleased with them though!!
I chose yarn in her colours too...........



Here's how it turned out..looking lovely in the garden......



And in my crochet chair...you can click on the pictures to make them bigger.....




Here's me modeling it..sorry about the quality of this pic ,but it's not easy to take a decent photo over your your shoulder with your camera upside down!!! At least you can see what size it is.....




It could do with lining to cover up the buses on the inside but I'm very pleased with it . Should make a great beach bag ......How long till my holidays!?!

I would be happy to share the pattern if anyone would like it ,and I'd love to here your comments.

Have a great weekend
Jacquie x

11 comments:

  1. I love tote bags, I love crochet, and do the very same thing! Your bag turned out brilliantly, it's so fun and whimsical...!!!

    you def. should line the inside with some floral fabric that has all the colours on the crochet florettes!!! that would look wonderful!

    happy creating!
    ciao bella
    creative carmelina was here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really lovely perfect just in time for summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, love it! I had a friend who worked at Loros - so money well spent too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I have left an award for you on my blog.
    Jille xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to tell you this if you've already worked it out, but this is how I did it. To get the award onto your blog, right click on the photo and 'save picture as...' on your own computer. You then upload the picture as you would normally. Hope this helps. Jille xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi just found your blog from our mutual award : )
    love the thrifty bag, nice to meet you.
    Cate x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Jacquie!
    Im glad you popped by to my blog and left your lovely message, now I have a new friend with a fabulous looking blog to follow! ....
    I do love the bag, very ingenious and I adore a big bag too, they somehow give the illusion of making me appear smaller!!!
    Oh and PS> Thank You for identifying my lovely flowery bush as Spiraea, I knew one of my wise bloggy friends would be able to enlighten me.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You´ve done a marvellous job, this bag is now so pretty and stylish and your crochet flowers are very lovely. Love that you are using 3 colours instead of just 2. It´s such a happy bag and oh yes, I surely would love your pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks lovely, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great way to save the bag and give it a new life. I hope you don't mind if I borrow this idea for my next bag, I think it would be so cheerful to look at every day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh I completely LOVE recycling/upcycling (and I'm not 40 yet - oh dear) am learning to crochet - my next project will be "Lucy's" flowers. Congrats on this bag it is soooo coool.

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.