Thursday 25 October 2018

In Search of Robin Hood

Hello Lovelies,
today my walking group went for a walk in Sherwood Forest, famous as the home of the fabled Robin Hood. We started from the village of Edwinstowe.


Oooh, that looks like a nice tea shop, but it's too early in our walk for that.


Leaving the streets behind we followed a path beside the river.


The low sun made all the Autumnal shades glow.




 
It was a flat route which we took at a leisurely pace. Plenty of time to admire the changing leaf colour.




And sit in a sunlit glade to sit under an Oak tree for lunch.


It was amazingly warm for the end of October.



Here we stopped to ask the Longhorn cattle if they had seen Robin, but they were not much help :0)


So we carried on, along the sun dappled paths.


oooh a perfect Fly Agaric. What a super find.


A little further on we found Robin's tree. The Major Oak. It was lovely to see it looking so healthy.


This is where Legend says Robin and his men sheltered.



The Squirrels were busy hiding acorns.


I just loved the light here. Is there anything nicer than a sunlit woodland walk.


In the end we found two Robins, this one...


and this one, at the new Visitor centre, where we stopped for our well earned cup of tea...or coffee :0)



I loved this eight mile route. I think it will be remembered as one of the highlights of my Walk 1000 mile challenge for 2018.

Jacquie x

14 comments:

  1. a very beautiful post............

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always a joy to see the photographs taken on your walks. You always seem to be blessed with some gorgeous weather. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous autumn walk and lovely photos,Jacquie! My in-laws live not far from Sherwood Forest; we must go and visit it when we are down there. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to see Sherwood wood withthe start of it's Autumn colours. The Fly Agaric was a great specimen and the old oak tree is indeed looking very healthy. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous autumnal walk. That fly agaric is absolutely perfect, amazing. Glad you had such a good walk. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just loved this post! I grew up enthralled with Robin Hood and the stories of him and his merry men and maid Marian and all. It was fun to see where his stories began. What an amazing oak tree! Thanks for sharing with us. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great place, there is nothing better than walking round a Autumn wood in the sunshine, the smell and the colours.
    Would love to see the Oak tree.
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I look forward to your posts so much and I am never disappointed! Another great walk shared with wonderful photos! Makes me want to fly over and visit your country! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to see the Major Oak still standing. I used to visit as a child, growing up nearby. You used to be able to go right up to it. It looks as though it's fenced off now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful walk. I'm looking forward to seeing the new visitor centre - we were there last when they were just about to start work on it, so I'm keen to see it now it's completed... whenever we have chance to head that way for a good walk :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous post and loved all of your photos ☺☺ I walk as often as can and did some great walking while on our trip to Canada/Alaska and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely walk - I really love that photo of the conker and leaves, gorgeous colours. Thanks for taking us with you! Sx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope everything is ok with you and you had a good Christms. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, I started reading this and thought , did I miss something, this is from October, I hope you and yours are all right because that would be the only reason I can think of that your posts have stopped. I wish you a Belated Merry Christmas and a hope you have a wonderful New Year! from Iowa

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.