Tuesday 26 January 2021

My 2020 Blankets.... and Wintry Scenes

 Hello Lovelies, today I'm sharing two recently completed blankets....yay  :0)

2020 was the second consecutive year in which I made a temperature blanket. There's lots of info on this sort of project...and my first temperature blanket HERE

 This one was a Neat Ripple  which used the weekly high temperature to decide the broad band of colour (two rows)  and the weekly low temperature for the narrow (one row).

During the spring lockdown I ran out of some of the colours, so I supplemented them with colours I had left, so it's a bit off plan ....but I still love it.


The border was just colours I liked and had enough of left over too. It's three rounds of half double crochet and a final round of single crochet.

It's a big blanket so a narrow border was all I felt it needed to create a nice, finished look.

Here it is looking pretty in the winter sunshine.


It is certainly a generously sized blanket, but lovely and soft and not at all heavy. I'm really happy with the way this 2020 temperature blanket turned out.

My second blanket, stared last summer, was this "happy Scrappy" blanket, as I've called it. 


I had quiet a few granny squares in my stash. Projects I had started but which were then abandoned.
To make the blanket I used up odds and ends of yarn (colours I didn't need for my temperature blanket) to make them into bigger squares, which I then joined using the muted purple shade, grape. As always these days, the yarn is Stylecraft special DK.

I did a nice wide border on this blanket as it's not that big and I think this sort of crochet granny square project suits a wide border.

Another very useable, and already in use project complete :0)

 It's great working the final rounds of crochet blankets in winter. Such comforting warmth and soothing rhythms as you hook away on dark evenings.  Not to mention the colour therapy :0)

I also think this sort of project shows you don't have to stress too much over colour combinations. Use enough happy colours and you will get a happy result.
 💗💙💚💛💜

The countryside is looking far from colourful here at the moment. But thankfully it's not grey either. It's covered in a beautiful white blanket of snow. 



This is the most snow we have had in a few years and a joy to behold.


I love the way it's stuck to the trees




And makes everyday views look magical.




I took extra large bird food rations with me on yesterday's walk and the churchyard birds certainly seemed to appreciate it.


My favourite church was Christmas card pretty.


And so were the surrounding fields.


Here a flock of Fieldfare had found some food  where the snow was thin.


And the crab apple tree was providing a tasty meal for this blackbird.




Sheep, unable to reach the covered grass were well looked after by the farmer.



And blue skies made the distant hills glisten.



It was pretty tricky underfoot in parts, especially on tarmac.


So I was sensible and made my way gingerly home after an hour's exploration. Home to Daffodils and a cream tea ...with home made scones:0)



Also at home I've been enjoying making these miniature houses. They are making me smile and proving a great lockdown distraction. They seem to be very popular with my Instagram followers too, so I'm currently working on a photo tutorial.

 I like the idea that you lovelies can distract yourselves with a bit of fun crochet too. I think that's especially needed if you are in a part of the world where you are being encouraged to stay home to reduce the virus cases, as we are. 


Stay safe everybody. I do hope this post has made you smile.....I'll be back with that pattern soon.

Jacquie x

21 comments:

  1. Morning Jacquie. Your little crochet houses are fabulous, such detail and I love the little tufts of smoke.
    I have been trying very hard to go walking every day and so far have managed it even if only a short one. The winter walk pictures are lovely, hope you enjoyed your scone when you got back. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Beverley. My walks are short at the moment and I'm not managing to go every day...so well done you x

      Delete
  2. Stunning neat ripple temperature blanket and wonderful wintry scenes. I love your little crocheted houses too, especially the blue one on the right with the climbing roses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those houses! Can’t wait for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful blankets! The bit about the farmer taking good care of his sheep made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blankets are gorgeous and the apparently random colour choices in the granny squares very pleasing to the eye. Although we have had some very hard frosts, no snow here and looking at your photos, I'm almost envious! However, it has meant I've been able to get out nearly every day, just short of 100 miles so far. Hope to have a go at making a little cottage if they aren't too tiny! Vicki in the East Riding

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blankets are gorgeous and the apparently random colour choices in the granny squares very pleasing to the eye. Although we have had some very hard frosts, no snow here and looking at your photos, I'm almost envious! However, it has meant I've been able to get out nearly every day, just short of 100 miles so far. Hope to have a go at making a little cottage if they aren't too tiny! Vicki in the East Riding

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, great total. I'm total is poor for the month so far x

      Delete
  7. I loooooved this post! Gorgeous blankets and your color combinations in both are very pleasing to the eye. I enjoyed your snow photos, too. We are expecting some here, I hope. I am in LOVE with your little houses and I am determined to make some too! Thanks for the inspiration! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teresa. Pattern will be here tomorrow :0)

      Delete
  8. Your post more than made me smile. It lifted my heart up greatly. I just oooh'd and aaaah'd the whole way through! First, your crocheted blankets! Just wondrous colors. So beautiful. And the photos of the snow. I think my very favorite is the snowy branch with the sun shining behind it. That should be in a gallery! Your little crocheted houses are the cutest things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this very thoughtful comment x

      Delete
  9. Your blankets are very wonderful - prefect work! Also this beautiful little houses. And I love your photos from countryside all seasons :-)

    Your post made me smile :-)
    Stay safe♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun post! Those outdoor snowy scenes are wonderful, and how fortunate are you to have sheep in your region. Daffodils and tea (yes!. Good to see you've enjoyed crochet lately. The temperature ripple blanket caught my eye. I hope to eventually make something with ripples. Thanks for another scenic and enriching post. Warm regards,
    Alexine in Maryland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alexine. warmest regards to you too x

      Delete
  11. Lovely photos and chatter. I love the houses,I would love to have a try once you have done the pattern - thank you!! ambling_along_suzie, Suzie xx

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.