Saturday 4 February 2023

Welcome February

Hello Lovelies, thank you so much for the welcome back 💓


Here's my third blog post of 2023! long may the inspiration continue. Compared to all the scrolling of Instagram it does feel like a return to gentler times. I have a huge nostalgia for my early blogging days, when the boys were all at primary school....and I wasn't so grey! 

At the beginning of the week my Amaryllis (a Christmas gift from my sister in law) really put on a spurt of growth. The lengthening days and milder temperatures must be working their magic. I was thrilled to see what looked like a second stem appearing too.


 I'm not sure why ( in a house with very few windowsills) I never thought to put plants in this landing window before. I love having my rescued orchids here and they seem very happy. This scene makes me smile. Even when the main lights are off, and the little battery sensor light illuminates the scene.


 On Wednesday we welcomed February (two words which are not spelled how you would presume!). The weather continued to be mild. As you can see on our weather monitor below, there's not much difference between the outside and inside temperatures here. That's because the sensor is in our conservatory. Gosh it's been a no go zone this winter! Every year it's pretty useless in very cold weather, but this year it's been worse as I turned down the underfloor heating due to the rising electricity costs. It faces north and at one point was so cold and damp mould was appearing everywhere. So depressing.  


It's still structurally sound and the rules around this sort of addition to houses has changed in the years since it was constructed.  We are now allowed to fit it with a well insulated solid roof ( previously it had to be glazed) ....so that's what we are organising for spring. In an ideal world I would prefer a completely new extension but funds are limited and this will hopefully be a good compromise.  It's also less wasteful and uses less resources,  so fits in with my simpler, sustainable goals. Well that's what I'm focusing on 😊.

I'm still enjoying noticing the beauty of bare branched trees like this magnificent oak.


But I'm also thankful for some green in the garden from these pots which have looked cheery all winter 👏


This is the first year I've removed the old leaves from my Hellebores and they do look better for it.


Even if you do still have to lift up the flowers to see their beauty fully.


In the little woodland there are Cyclamen and snowdrops appearing.
 

That wonky dolls house is a bug hotel 🥰


Tomorrow it's exactly a year since we welcomed this boy into our home. He's turned out to be a typical comfort seeking whippet and we indulge him....well he doesn't have much built in padding 

He's so funny, pulling all the sofa blankets and cushions into a big heap then flopping down in his homemade "nest". We then usually cover him up as well if it's chilly. I think he approves 💙


This week it's actually been mild enough for him to go out without a coat and today we noticed daffodil leaves beginning to appear.


While we were out walking (despite the grey) a load of washing pretty much dried on the line. Woohoo, I do love some clean bedding that smells of fresh air. A simple pleasure for sure.
 

Whilst I was out in the garden I noticed so many buds on my Daphne. 


And the first brave primulas beginning to flower.


I also noted the sad scene of my broken bird bath, a victim of those hard frosts. 
 

Never mind, I'll keep a look out for a second-hand one, or something else to be a feature here. Thinking about it, now my apple tree has grown I'm not sure anything is needed 🤔. We have a pond the birds use. I must remember my simplicity goal.

Ending on a happier note, today I noticed my Amaryllis has THREE stems. WOW! That's certainly a first for me 😍🌺  


I do hope your February has got off to a good start and you enjoyed my everyday seasonal moments. 

Jacquie x

7 comments:

  1. Hi, Nice to read a post on your blog again. Like me, you are enjoying the first signs of Spring appearing. Simple things that bring most joy. I dont have a garden but the tulips in the big container near my front door has little leaves peeping through. Lovely pics , as usual. Your dog has a cute face. He looks very happy under his blankets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ciao che bello leggerti, belle foto complimenti Pettirossoinfreddolito

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hellebore are such lovely plants to have in the garden at this time of year and the Daphne will be a real treat when it blooms. Shame about the bird bath. Hopefully you will soon have a new watering sanctuary for the birds in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so nice to see all the green and blossomy things on your side of the pond! Here it's still a brown and white world. Enjoy the spring flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice reading you again Jacquie Only just managed to reblog myself. Lovely plants enjoy seeing other side of the world seasons

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Mother-in-law always loved Hellebores, happy first year to the boy! I've stopped posting on Instagram, preferring the slower pace on Blogland. Take care, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, I have only just found your beautiful blog. I will enjoy going through the archives and looking at all your beautiful posts. However, I do hope you will be returning, Take care and warmest thank you.

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.