Sunday 21 January 2018

Simply Seasonal ....21st of January

Hello Lovelies,
how was your week? My work days were busy and quiet stressful, but my days off had many happy moments and simple but special treats.

Here is my round up of simply seasonal joy for the third week of January.

1 ♥ A feast with friends. My walking group have their annual lunch in January. I think it's great that they don't try and have it in December when everywhere and everyone is so busy. The company was great...lots of book talk which gave me some titles to look out for. I'm not much of a novel reader but occasionally I do like to loose myself in a book. Last year I read THIS book on holiday and loved it.

The roses on the table made me smile


and there were any courses to enjoy. I liked the carvery main course the best as I do love this sort of meal and it tastes much nicer when you have not had to cook it yourself :0)


2 ♥ Baking It's still chilly outside and it was very windy on occasion this week. When it's wild weather I love to turn on the oven and bake in a cosy kitchen.


I made an army of gingerbread men


3 ♥ Walking by water. On Thursday I was relived the wind had gone and the sun was even shining. Myself and a friend were  the leaders on this weeks walking group outing. It was an  unusually flat walk for us to choose but the watery views were beautiful and it avoided too much mud :0)









We went HERE.

It was great to be able to distribute some home baking too.


4 ♥ Getting outdoors with Eldest. More walking....this time locally. No water but lots of chat and fresh air.


I introduced him to my Robin friend too. Can you spot him?


Her's getting braver and we both loved watching him enjoy the seed I left.


My favourite church was looking pretty in the sunshine.


and I smiled when I noticed the snowdrops are getting bigger.


The very "Free Range" chickens were wandering around enjoying the sunshine a little further down the road.


and we said hello to these two, who seemed to smile back.


5 ♥ Wintry Shadows. As you can see our shed project is finally looking better. It's not complete but we are getting there. I had to smile when eldest did a bit styling with a pot and the little pig I've had in the garden for ages, but I took this photo mainly for the tree shadows.  I love their shapes and the way I could see the shadows of the birds hopping in the branches too.


6 ♥ Making Soup. I do love home made soup. It's so cheap and easy to make. Not to mention good for you.


On this occasion I used THIS recipe.


7 ♥ Adventuring with mum. This week we went in search of a new tea room. It's becoming a habit :0)
 It was a bit tricky to find and I nearly baulked when we came to this steep, single track bridge. Time to sound your horn to warn others who might be coming in the opposite direction.


We made it over safely and I had to admit it was a pretty sight from the canal bank.


As you can see this is a quiet lane. We like a tea room with pretty surroundings.


The sun even shone for us and things looked promising.

we went HERE.

Inside was delightful. More table flowers. Such a lovely touch


and when you have had healthy soup for lunch you have an excuse for a sweet treat, right?


There were other customers despite the relative remoteness of this spot. I love the quick sketch mum did of this couple.


Mum also had old photos in her handbag that made me smile. This is my younger brother and I at Hardcastle Crags in the 80's. I think we would have been 18 and 14. I see we loved stepping stones back then too...oh and we were both wearing our Nanna's knitting  :0)


It was a lovely atmosphere in the Tea shop and even better...there is also a charity shop there. I picked up a brand new high quality walking top for a bargain price.


And mum got a new handbag...her weakness :0)   It was a lovely afternoon discovering somewhere new and supporting a deserving charity too. In mum's words it "turned out better than like"

I hope your week turns out well too.
Jacquie x

17 comments:

  1. This wintertime is the time to mix things indoor and outdoor with family and friends. This is the time to eat sweet and tasteful things. I love to see your Robin friend. He is gorgeous.

    Have a nice week again, Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to your posts so much! We live so far apart yet I feel like a friend finding out about your week. Your gratitude is contagious and makes me look at little things in my life that make me happy. Even when some things might be stressful and busy - there are always pockets of sweetness to make us smile. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that does look a good read, will add that to my reading list. The sheep certainly look like they are smiling back xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. another lovely round up of your week. I am glad you are getting out and about when the weather allows, and my mum and I also love a good tea shop too! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What lovely walks you enjoyed. Beautiful photos. I love finding a bargain and if anyone should buy an extra walking top, you should. :)
    Fun sketch! Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving your blog Jacquie, you're a girl after my own heart. Walking, crafting & tea shops, the simple pleasures! It was a lovely surprise when I recognised some of the views in your photos. I hope your walking club enjoyed their visit to my local patch. My little bit of countryside on the edge of the city. I look forward to seeing where your adventures take you in 2018 :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What wonderful weather you were having - a bit different from today! I love your Mum's sketch. My youngest son, J2 and I have just wolfed down a hearty beef stew - with dumplings - it was just what today's weather demanded. I've been on my market stall in Winchester's High Street and it poured down all day - ugh. We all packed up and went home early. Lunch with friends is always a treat and those gingerbread men - I think I might have to go and make some! Have a lovely week. Ax

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bags are a weakness of mine as well. I think it's the possibilities for filling them with notebooks and going off on adventures. Oh the scone, it looks divine. And hurray for food we didn't have to cook ourselves. The dog with the big stick made me smile. I shall check out the book you mention, I do love a book recommendation. Great find on the walking top, well done you. Have a lovely week Jacquie, CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am totally jealous with that beautiful place for walks by the water. Our temps here are warm now at -1.1 Celsius but not good enough for walks with all the ice. We had temps of -33.1 Celsius a few days back. The Dove Cottage Tea Room looks like a great place for a warm cup of tea. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read that book on holiday last year as well. It was on the 'book swap' shelf where we were staying.
    I love finding new tea rooms too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You always have the best adventures! Your mum seems so sweet, I would like to have one just like her. Thanks for taking us along. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your walk photos as the countryside is so different to ours here in Australia. Those old churches are so beautiful. So much history over there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Always magical views and sweets biscuits...have happy week

    ReplyDelete
  14. It has taken a long time for the whole wonky veg thing to take off but I think finally it has. I buy them all the time (but then I am from a farming family and know that waste can kill a farm) Have a happy week. See you next Sunday! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  15. A great post esp. with the tea shop ending and your mum's sketch and your thrift shop finds. Loved the pic of the dog with the big stick. Dogs seem to be proud of themselves, as if they've found a prize. That bridge was a bit scary. I often have to go through a one lane underpass tunnel. It's in a curve so you can't see if there is another car on the other side until you are in the tunnel. THANKFULLY they put up a stoplight. It's a busy road and much needed and is so much safer now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another fab post,so interesting and I love that dog with the big stick too,reminded me of Basil the collie I walk,he is always doing that lol.Gorgeous Tea Room,not a Cornish Cream Tea then hee hee,tis Jam first.Love the way your mum does her impromtu sketches,my mum used to do the same.Keep em coming Jacqui,you are a Star.xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I sure do love visiting your blog and those walks you do bring back my memories on 2016 and 2017 when in the UK doing our own fun walks.

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.