Sunday 14 January 2018

Simply Seasonal.....14th of January

Hello Lovelies,
Thank you so much for all your kind comments on my first "Simply Seasonal" post last week. I do hope you continue to enjoy these weekly updates as we go through the year. I'm feeling thankful to have this structure on my blog at the moment, it makes me really take notice of the simple things that are such a joy if you just give them your attention for a short while. Here are the things that have made me smile this second week of the new year.

1 ♥ A walk in the woods  It's such a gentle and uplifting way to soak in the seasonal atmosphere. 


The bare trees are truly beautiful, especially when we are blessed with a little winter sunshine.



And when it's frosty fallen leaves take on a whole new appearance.


The country lane was looking pretty here.


and a little further around my circuit I was delighted to see that the Which Hazel was already in blossom.

 Even in the depths of winter mother nature is busy isn't she.


2 ♥ Line dried washing. On Sunday I managed to dry our bedding outside. Woo Hoo. That doesn't happen very often in January.



3 ♥ A Thoughtful Delivery. On one of my work days my mum in law sent us a HUGE meat and potato pie for our evening meal. When you have been out of the house for 12 hours it's a real treat to come home to home made fare as delicious as this was. Thank you "Nanna"


4 ♥ Getting Out. The plus side of working long days is  getting time at home during the week. I get chance for short walks to put more food out for Robin.


And to notice the first tiny Snowdrops beginning to emerge.


More flowers...yay. Spring me be a way off but some brave blooms are showing their pretty faces.


 This was a rather grey walk and the countryside was looking very gloomy.


but the lack of foliage and sunshine makes you notice the silhouettes.


and what colour there is really stands out.



5 ♥ Home Comforts.  When it's cold outside it's so comforting to return to a warm house, a cup of tea and a simple treat.


I do try to eat my five a day too. Salads don't always appeal to me in winter, but roasted vegetables certainly do.



6♥ Indoor Flowers. Also appearing in my kitchen at this time of year is my windowsill garden. These inexpensive supermarket blooms are a simple thing that I really appreciate during the short winter days.


Is there any more cheerful a flower than the sunny daffodil. They are such a happy sight to come home to at the end of the day.


7 ♥ Remembering How to Knit. This was the first knitting I have attempted in about  20 years...oh, except for a couple of sessions helping Brownies learn, and that was still a decade ago now. I was amazed how well my latest foray into knitting went.

Well I did have help from lots of kind people in my computer who reminded me how to cast on, and what stocking stitch is. You Tube videos are great aren't they.


I have never been a confident knitter and I was tense. Childhood memories of dropping stitches, or ending up with more stitches nearly every row kept popping in my head. But somehow neither of those things happened. I'm sure my work is far from perfect but I was delighted with how neat it looked to my eyes.


 I'm ridiculously proud of this little baby hat. I love how smooth and soft it feels compared to my crochet hats. It actually came up really tiny so I will make more in a bigger size. I know it's not the right colour for the "traffic light system" I was so inspired by, but I just picked up the nearest colour to hand to experiment, then kept going.
It's so small I'm sure it would only be useful to really premature babies so I'm thinking the colour coding will not be needed in that situation.


I used THIS pattern. Gosh, that's 4 things I've made already this year. I wonder if this productive start is good sign :0)

I hope you lovelies have a good week 
Jacquie x



13 comments:

  1. Thank you for the virtual walk in the woods. Yes it is nice to be able to hang out the washing this time of year. I love the windy dry days. All your food looks absolutely yummy may I come to stay........? I have a vase of daffodils just about to pop into bright yellow flower. Your knitting is great.

    Julie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A walk in the woods (or anywhere really) is so uplifting, especially at this time of the year. Like you, I am in love with the silhouette of the trees against a wintry sky. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the opportunity to see the other side of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew these posts would work for you, I mean who doesn't want to come home to a free pie and tell the world about it. Love Jo xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have daffodils on my hearth and they are so cheery.It is a tradition that I buy my daughter her first bunch of daffodils of the year.My first bunch was bought last Tuesday and they are still going well.Roll on Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just back from the winter woods here as well, it's beautiful out there. Cold, but beautiful. Love, love, love the tea and hot buttered teacake, wonderful. I'm a big fan of roasted vegetables as well, but right now something sweet would be blissful. Wishing you a good week Jacquie. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed going along with you on your walk. We have a sunny and windy day here, yesterday there was no wind and it got warm like a Spring day, the boys played outside all day. I love how your little knitted hat came out, bravo! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos, as always. I am in awe that you manage to make the time to take such lovely pictures and notice the little things. I mean to but...good intentions seems as far as it gets these days! must do better... :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another Stunning and interesting post,I so look forward to them.What a lovely walk and such scenery,just look at that sky and the colours.Bet that pie tasted good.I do love that lil pot cosy,did you make it.Love roasted veg.Well done you,that lil hat is so cute and very neat, good tension too.xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. You should be proud of that sweet baby hat. Love it! That meat pie is calling to me, too! Those are good things to make you smile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm loving your posts! Again too much to mention!! Walking, clean washing...on the washing line, pies, signs of Spring, cute knitted hat....I'm really impressed! And roasted vegetables,.....I also love the birds silhouettes.
    Well done! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovely collection of images and thoughts. Love the look of the pie - it's reminded me that it's not something we have too often. So - which hazel was in bloom? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed that, all the things I love nature, crafts and food!

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.