Saturday 12 November 2011

A quick crochet gift

Hello Lovelies,
At work we have enjoyed having a sweet young lady's company over the last few weeks. A visiting colleague from the other side of the world who will be missed by myself and quite a few others due to her lovely , friendly , generous nature.
On Wednesday evening it suddenly dawned on me that the next day would the last time we would meet and I wanted to give her a little gift  . No time to go shopping meant it would have to be something handmade. Something quick to make ...but what ?
I hit upon a crochet bowl ( like the one in my side bar ) and dug out my assorted cotton yarns. I was looking for the right colours when I spotted a little forgotten W.I.P. in the bottom of the bag, some pretty stripes....



I think this was started from a library book a couple of years ago.....possibly to make a child's handbag. With time short I decided to turn it into a little pouch. Luckily I still had the same yarns so I just added a few more rows. It was about half this deep when I found it........



I didn't even sew in the ends...just trimmed them a bit so they were not quite so bulky........



The next morning I  hand sewed a lining from some thrifted fabric. These days sewing dark fabric requires daylight and some help with vision :0).........



I then added a zip...not so hard to do with small hand stitches .....



Pin and then sew the first side between the lining and the pouch ,then unzip the zipper and pin and sew the second side .............



As you can see this zip was a little small and not really matching in colour but I think it looks OKish and It was all I had. It was a 6 inch zip , to give you an idea of size......



The whole project took a couple of hours .If these photos look a bit hurried , they were ........



I popped a little tin heart on some gingham ribbon that I had bought as a Christmas decoration inside , wrapped it up and gave it . Phew , just in time !
I hope she likes it ...I think it could have lots of uses, like make up or gadgets........


Soon it will be another well traveled bit of Bunny Mummy crochet so it's nice to have a record here :0)
Have a great rest of the weekend .
Jacquie x

37 comments:

  1. Oh wow it's beautiful I want one! You are a trouper hand sewing that zip in, and like you I am rubbish with dark fabrics, I need my daylight light and a magnifier (I'm 37 but sometimes feel 87 lol).
    I bet she was delighted with it I'm tempted to stop what I'm doing and make one now!
    Kandi x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely thing to do for your friend. She will appreciate it so much.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's lovely - I'm sure she will really appreciate it. Its so nice to get a handmade gift!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that! I have sewn zippered pouches before, but never thought of crocheting one and adding a lining. Will have to add this to my must do list :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely gift to make and in such a short time too. I'm sure it will be very much appreciated.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is really a nice little bag - and to do it so quickly! I also like your pincushion in the photos! Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's lovely. And so fast! I might have to try one, they'll make love christmas gifts.

    Emma xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a cute idea. I bet the owner is now a happier person.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have no doubt that she will love it! What's not love from a handmade gift? xox Thanks for this nifty quick handmade pressie idea jacqui, it's always good to have them for last minute gifts xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know she will love it, I do!!!!
    Handmade gifts are usually the most treasured, and appreciated.
    Have a great rest of your day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it is absolutely lovely! I would adore receiving that as a present. I bet she loved it and will think of you when she uses it. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet gift. Yet again I find myself wishing I could crochet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very thoughtful, I am sure she will love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the colours,what a lovely gift!:-))

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an adorable purse!!!
    And how thoughtful of you to make it as a gift- and fortuitous that you had the already begun one!!
    I love finding things I started to make and forgot about!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How sweet! Was wondering how you did the zip, and would like to try that one day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Jacquie, that little zippered pouch is such a fab gift for your work colleague.

    Love the bight, cheery colours you used.

    Isn't it amazing when time is limited and the pressure is on we can always manage to come up with the goods. Some yarn, a zip, some fabric a bit of stitching and there it is, wonderful........

    Hope you've had a great weekend,

    Claire :}

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is a really lovely gift to make, I hope your friend really likes it :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a pretty little gift, hope she likes it and treasures it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Jacquie! How cute is this? You are so darned clever! And I absolutely LOVE the color of that zipper! It's perfect! What a sweet being you are! Gifts are so much fun to receive - and, anymore, people are so put out for time, I don't think they have (or make) the time to think of others! I know that whenever I do something kind for another, it is so very appreciated. Likewise, when someone takes the time to think of me! Your co-worker was very blessed to have you in her life. This was a lovely gesture toward her! Hugs to you...still smiling at my basket each time I pass it! =) Annette

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello,

    jaquelin,

    thats so sweet.Very lovely colors to.

    Greatings send you Conny

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice to see that I'm not the only one in a hurry to finish a project sometimes! I think it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. brilliant and I love the clours :)
    x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  24. ooops sorry, meant to say colours, I am typing in the dark...not sure why :) x x x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful gift, handmade items are so special.

    ReplyDelete
  26. A lovely gift,well done.juliexxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is beautiful, she'll love it

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a lovely idea. I would love it if someone had been that thoughtful for me.
    Gillx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great work Jacquie such a pretty and useful gift and so kind. I'm sure your friend will treasure it. Also thanks for demonstrating sewing in a zip, I feel brave enough to give it a go no!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I want one too. Very nice gift. Do you have the pattern for the pin cushion. I think it would be a lovely gift as well.

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  31. what a deliciously gorgeous little purse! Im sure the new owner is thrilled! I know I would be :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Glad I popped in! I'm so intimidated by zippers and linings. Hurried or not your pictures gave me a good idea of how to do it. Thanks for sharing, your bag is very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm looking a pattern to do this project. It will be possible to obtain the pattern you use?

    All your creations are beautiful!!

    Thanks

    Laura

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.