Tuesday 31 December 2013

2013::A year of Crochet


Hello Lovelies,
There has been a bit less crochet here than there was in 2012, but looking back at it all gathered together for this post,  there is more than I had thought. I hope you enjoy this celebration of colourful crochet.

Back in December last year I made an owl for my sister in law. It's become a bit of a tradition to crochet a decoration for her Christmas tree and I was particularly pleased with how this one turned out.........


They were easy and fun to do and soon I had made quite a few. In January I got round to making a tutorial to share with you lovelies and I was amazed how popular it was . It makes me smile to think there are now many, many of these cute chaps right across the globe...made by you lovelies......Isn't blogland wonderful.........


The temperatures last January were much colder than we are experiencing right now and my next make was an attempt to prevent painfully cold hands. I used the circles from the centre of my owl pattern and sewed two  together with a little bag of baking beans inside...then warmed them on a hot radiator..........


In February I made a padded heart, again utilising the same circle, with a couple of shaping rounds added......


Heck, in March I was using that same circle again! this time to make mini Easter birds........


Then there was a bit of a crochet break, while  drawing gripped me.
It couldn't last and of course it was the lovely Lucy who inspired me to pick up my hook again.
Making bunting for Yarndale was great fun and I couldn't resist adding a cute bunny to one of my triangles.....


Once I had got back into the rhythm I wanted to make something else.



In May I started a blanket of seven round grannies......



I really loved playing with so much colour.........


This was the progress by June..........


Then suddenly the weather got really hot and playing with yarn didn't seem very appealing, so I made a skirt.....

Sorry, I know this isn't crochet, but I wanted to record it as a make for this year.

By August we were at the seaside and crochet is a great holiday project. In Cornwall I added a row or two to my Seaside patches blanket, which I had begun in 2012............


I also took it to Norfolk , but I ended up using the yarn to create "Sherri the Seagull" .......


At the end of August I felt inspired by the bees visiting my garden to make a crochet version.
I didn't get round to blogging about him at the time..........


But I was pretty pleased with how he turned out....sorry I didn't write down the pattern, but there are loads of free bee patterns out there if you fancy making something similar. How about THIS one, or THIS ?
I was particularly pleased with his heart shaped wings.......I used THIS pattern

but I do think he needed smaller eyes.

In September I made a Daffodil from THIS book to hopefully help me meet up with some of you lovelies at Yarndale.....and it worked :0)..........

I met so many lovely bloggers there , and sadly missed a few more I would have liked to have chatted with..... Hopefully next year lovelies.

I was thrilled when Lucy pointed out my Bunny triangle on display right below her gorgeous May Rose wreath...........



It was so busy on the Saturday when I visited that I was pleased to sit outside on the grass and do a bit of quiet crochet , like so many others were doing. The atmosphere was lovely.........


In October and November I made a concerted effort to get my Middle sons "seaside patches"  blanket finished ......


It worked and I was so happy to complete one large crochet project this year........


My seven round grannies gained a denim blue border and just need sewing together now........


But, in need of a portable project, I started a scarf made of teeny two round grannies, on a whim........


With Christmas fast approaching I decided to make a gift, and began crocheting rows of blues and turquoise stripes.........


This turned out to be quite a time consuming project , but thankfully I got this hot water bottle cover finished for the big day.....


I decided to make a vertical fastening at the back, a bit like a shirt . It's not a method I've seen before and I was rather pleased with how it turned out..........


And then the year had turned full circle and it was time to crochet that tree decoration again.
I did leave this to the last minute...staying up till after midnight on the 23rd to get it finished.

I heard my niece had made a gingerbread house and that inspired me to try and make one too...


It's a bit wonky but gingerbread houses often are, so I hope that adds to the charm :0)

So 2013 was mostly a year of small projects, but I did manage to finish one pretty large blanket and get most of the way through another.
I'm going into the new year with two WIP's which doesn't seem bad. And anyway, sometimes it about enjoying the process not just racing to the end.

Thank you, thank you for all your super kind comments on my drawings. They really made my day. A few of you asked about the possibility of a calender or notecards....well, I'd love to make this happen....I'll update you when and if I manage to figure out how best to go about it. 

I'm working on New Years Day so I'll take this opportunity to say HAPPY NEW YEAR to all you lovelies now. 

Jacquie x

43 comments:

  1. Happy New Year to you too Jacquie, I love your little crochet gingerbread house, what a great idea. I would really love to have a calendar / notelets of your drawings very much and look forward to that becoming a reality! take care, Sam xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feliz año nuevo 2014!!!!!
    Besos

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many lovely makes, it hard to pick a favourite, but the little Srping birds are sooooooooo cute as is the bumble bee. I've enjoyed so much looking at all the end of year review posts. It's also been so much fun digging through my photo archive and making my own. Happy New Year
    Clare xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoy your blog. Did you use a pattern for the skirt? I would love to make one for my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cate, yes I used a dress pattern but chickened out of the bodice :0)
      You can see the pattern number inhere http://bunnymummy-jacquie.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/sewing-skirt.html....but I had to alter it to include a back zipper.
      Happy new year to you
      Jacquie x

      Delete
  5. Hooray for hook and yarn Jacquie! Wonderful year of crochet for you, I wish I had time to collate my photos like you had. Here's wishing you and your family a very happy and healthy new year, thank you for your blogger friendship too xox Penny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being a seaside girl at heart, I particularly love the seaside patches blanket and the little crochet seagull, he is fab! Thanks for another lovely post and Happy New Year to you and your family when it arrives :O)xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year Jacquie, I too love your little Gingerbread house and the little birds. I hope your Calender or Notecards are possible. Thank you for sharing your wonderful talents with us.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have just found your blog , i have always wanted to learn to crochet , you have inspired me tohave a go , your blanket is beautiful xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It makes me happy to see so much colorful crochet! And yes, I made many crochet owls too, there are some in my house and some went to other houses and we all love them!
    I wish you a happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My what love things you have made
    Happy New Year
    Julie xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year, loved reading through your reviews of your year.

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Full of colour and lovely things....Wishing you a happy new year in 2014...
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sağlıklı mutlu bol kazançlı yıllar:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. And it was that first little owl that brought me to this blog! Have a lovely new year Jacquie x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy New Year to you too. You've had a very productive yarny year and I've loved finding your blog and reading it this year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy New Year Jacquie. The clock ticked over midnight here in Australia a couple of minutes ago. thanks for sharing your review of crochet. I love your bee and his eyes are perfect! I also love your gingerbread house. It is perfect. Wonky is excellent for gingerbread houses!
    Here's to 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Best wishes to you an yours for the coming year.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. so lovely,I really like taking time at this point in the year to see what you've achieved, I may have to do a similar process
    http://ahandfulofhope.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful work, all of it. Happy New Year, Jacquie!

    ReplyDelete
  20. By apply New Year. I have loved making the owls,bunnies and little birds this year. Thank you for your generosity.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A very Happy, Healthy and Creative New Year to you too, and thank you for such a lovely 'blog'!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think that I like your little bee and the gingerbread house best, but that might be because I haven't already seen them! A great year of crochet again at your house. I look forward to your crocheting in 2014! Happy New Year. xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. So many lovely projects you've managed this year! I've fallen in love with your Sherri the Seagull! Did you write a pattern? I would so love to make several for our Beach Hut (which is what we call the little summer house in our back garden). I hope you won't mind too much that I asked.

    Happy New Year to you and yours xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just made a flat circle . I didn't write a pattern but there is a similar project here....http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/birdie-decoration.html
      Happy new Year to you too
      Jacquie x

      Delete
    2. Hi Jacquie, I've seen Lucy's birdie decoration, I'll have a go at making a seagull one. The colours you've used for the wings are what I like so much. Thanks for the pattern info and for providing inspiration! :)

      Delete
  24. I love it all what a beautifully colourful year you have had. I hope 2014 is kind to your and yours xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. So much gorgeousness! Happy New Year! x

    ReplyDelete
  26. So lovely to see all your crochet creations in one place! I do love your owls and I did make quite a little family of them and give them as gifts! Thank you for this lovely pattern!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy new year.loved seeing what u have made.the blanket is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such vibrant colours Jacquie. Lovely work. Happy New year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What wonderful projects. I particularly liked the gingerbread house. Best wishes for the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow! Happy New Year from Italy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. It's funny, as the year was going along I would have said that you weren't doing that much crochet - but seeing it all here makes me realise how wrong I was! I can't quite believe how many things have flown off your hook - and with all the drawing too. You've had a busy and creative year!! I love following your patterns and seeing what you've created, I look forward to seeing what 2014 brings - hopefully this year we can meet :)
    Jones x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Feliz Año!!!
    Preciosos todos tus proyectos y gracias por los tutoriales, he aprendido hacer los buhos que gentilmente nos enseñastes.
    Cariños

    ReplyDelete
  33. Jacquie Happy 2014 to you too...your bumble bee is very cute, and the colours of your seaside blanket are perfect....we have a cat called sherrie I think if we filled the seagull with catnip they would be made for each other....mmm that gives me an idea!
    thanks for all the lovely inspiration you have provided this year....
    bestest daisy x
    Ps I am sewing a skirt today!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hello Jacquie!! I'm so happy to have found your blog recently because I have started up crocheting again and I find your projects inspiring. What a lovely year in pictures and crochet!! Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful creations!! ♥ A lovely review :-)
    ~~~ Happy New Year !!! ~~~

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Jacquie, Lovely makes!!! And because of your generosity, my sisters all have beautiful owl brooches!!! Happy 2014!!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a lovely year of crochet and craft. I love your crochet colours, especially when they are photographed in their "natural habitat" surrounded by the lovely colours of your furnishings and other accessories. All of your 2013 projects shine with your colour style and you have inspired me to try and discover my colours after making many things in the colours of others' choosing. Your work is beautiful. Thank you for sharing so generously and all the best for more creative inspiration in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Me ha encantado tooodoooooo!!!! so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  39. Happy New Year (bit late!). Love seeing the things you have made and reading of your adventures! Jen x

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.