Wednesday 30 October 2013

Cinnamon and Pear Crumble Cake

Hello Lovelies,
as I mentioned in my previous post, I was lucky enough to pick up a bag of pears for free at the weekend, kindly left at the roadside by someone who must have a bumper crop this year....



If I'm being totally honest I have to say that Pears are not my favourite fruit ( it's the texture ) so I was keen to do some baking with them.
There are lots of  tempting pear recipes on the interweb but many of them would have meat a trip to the shops for additional ingredients.
 After a bit of searching I found THIS recipe. I LOVE cinnamon and  had all the ingredients.

 I struggled with the measurements , a strange combination of grams and cups. I know a lot of the world works in cups ( I think this recipe is Australian ) but it's not common in the U.K. so I had to google how much the cups were equivalent to in grams.

 I've rewritten it here in a format I find easy to follow ( with a few alterations I found were needed )...I though you lovelies might like to try it and it will make my life easier next time I make this yummy cake.....because I'm sure there will be a next time.
If you like working in cups the original recipe will probably be easier for you to follow.


Cinnamon and Pear Crumble Cake
ingredients:-
125g softened butter or margarine
150g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 medium eggs
128g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 tablespoons ground almonds
100 mls of milk
2 large or three small pears, peeled cored and chopped

Crumble topping
90g plain flour
1 1/2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
60g softened butter or margarine
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Method:-
1. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius or gas mark 3
2. Grease and line the base of a round loose bottom or spring form cake tin.
3. In a large mixing bowl beat the butter, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer till pale and creamy
4. Gradually add the eggs...I add a little flour with the eggs to stop them curdling.
5.Sift in the remaining flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Add the ground almonds and mix well.
6.Fold through the milk and pears.....My mixture was very runny so I've reduced the amount of milk slightly from that in the original recipe.

7.Topping combine the flour, sugar and baking powder in a bowl.
8. Add the butter and rub in with fingertips.
9. Pour cake mixture into prepared tin and sprinkle with  crumble topping
10. Bake for 55minutes ..... check with a metal skewer....if it come out clean the cake is cooked, if not check again at five minute intervals till done.My fan oven took only 55 minutes.
11. cool on a wire rack


As you can see I had some issues with my topping. It was very sticky and hard to make crumbly so in this version I've added a bit more flour ...hopefully that will help.

This cake made the kitchen smell wonderful and it's beautifully moist with a crunchy top.
Happy baking
Jacquie x

27 comments:

  1. Thank you!
    I shall bake this at the weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks delicious!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jacquie for taking the time to translate this scrumptious recipe for those of us on our side of the water. It looks absolutely delicious and I suspect that the addition of pears has made for a very moist cake ... yummy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks beautiful, and I am certain....delicious!! Thank you for sharing! Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks really good , I think I can smell it from here. Haven't done any baking in a while...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum - I have just bought some pears so I will give this a go as soon as they soften up a bit. Did you use 160 degrees for your fan oven, or did you reduce the temperature a bit? I am not enamoured by my fan oven as I find there is no easy or consistent way to decide whether to reduce the temp or the time or both to get the correct results - give me a gas oven any day!! Lily. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lily, I didn't reduce the temp on this occasion , but I may do next time as it did cook more quickly than I expected.
      Jacquie x

      Delete
  7. Sounds delicious!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my gosh!! this looks divine!!!!!! I love pear anything so this is my next bake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Yum, I have all the ingredients, this will be in a dish near me very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the wonderful recipe! It really sounds gorgeous! Think I'll try it this weekend. I know what you mean about pears, but this seems to be a great way to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jacquie this is just fabulous thank you. I think I have an apology to make as I am sure that I left the e out of your name so sorry if I did. I love pears they are my favourite fruit so this lovely cake is going to be one I will be wanting to make and eat!! Big huggy thanks
    Dorothy
    :-)xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with you about the texture of pears... not wild about them. However, this recipe sounds and looks totally yummy, and anything with cinnamon and I'm there! I will switch back to cups for the ease of my poor brain... here in the US we seem to use both, sort of but I grew up with the cups thing so it's just less of a struggle... I can't wait to try this recipe, perhaps for this weekend! thanks bunches for sharing...
    Hugs,
    Beth P

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks totally delicious Jacquie x thanks for sharing xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sadly we are not fans of pears in this house - it is because of the texture! I don't know anyone else who doesn't like pears, just me and hubby! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not keen on pears either, it's that grittiness. The cake looks delicious though. I usually put my pears in a crumble and disguise them with raspberries.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cake looks great, very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Always best to leave newly picked pears for a couple of days to 'mature' - you get a nicer,juicier texture that way. It just so happens that I just bought some cinnamon today and I have all the other ingredients at the ready so will give this a bash at the weekend. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Delicious looking Jacqui, and I'm imagining how it would smell. I love cinnamon in just about anything! Great with your porridge on a cold morning with a dash of honey.
    As to measurements, the Aussie tablespoon is 20ml, and I believe the English is 15ml.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Got to try this too! Thank you for making the recipe easy to read.
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks delish Jacquie.....will have to make a note of this recipe so I can try it when our pears come in to season.....
    I can imagine how nice the house smelt with the lovely aroma wafting through it.....

    Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  21. That looks delicious, I think I can almost smell it. How lucky getting all those pears for free. I've just been given 5lb of green tomatoes and will be having a chutney making session tonight.
    I get a bit confused with cup measurements depending on where the recipe comes from - I think US and Australian cups are different, and what ever is a 'stick of butter'! Here in France all is in grammes but all my favorite things to make come mostly from my mothers old handwritten cook book in lb & oz!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow it looks scrummy - save me a slice! I am so with you on the cups thing - I have cups, but it is very annoying to know just looking at a bag of flour whether you have enough for 4 cups... at least with grams/ounces you can just shove it on the scale!
    I bet that cake would be nice warm with cream or icecream... mmmm...
    Jones x
    PS I tried commenting on your previous post but not sure if it made it through to you or not... I *think* I may have got distracted and left the page before submitting! Anyway, thanks for your comment over on my Yarndale post - it was my biggest disappointment of the weekend that we didn't get to meet, but hopefully there will be another craft extravaganza that will bring us together one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. mmmm yummy
    this looks properly delicious xx

    http://www.adayinmywheels.com/

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.