Thursday 29 January 2015

Springtime Blanket Ta-Dah

Hello Lovelies,
I'm rather excited. It's such a special post today....a blanket "Ta-Dah" even....and it's a LONG time since I've had one of those. The last one was back in April 2014.

See the pretty hyacinth on my coffee table.......with it's sweet scent, glossy green leaves and amazing blue and purple flowers. It's sign to me  that spring is coming


And the March edition of Country Living that plopped through my letter box this week has such a happy springtime cover........


They helped me finally give this project a name. May I introduce my Springtime blanket...........


I remember the very day that I chose the colours. 
It was THIS day.....a perfect day in early May. I went for a woodland walk and came home with my head full of the spring colours I had seen. I rummaged through my Stylecraft stash and gathered together the  colours that looked to my eyes as close as possible to those I had found so inspiring.

For a while the yarn stayed in my project bag while I decided what type of blanket to make. Then, in early June, I decided to make a join-as-you-go circle blanket. In a way it was like my FIRST circle blanket, but I had tweaked the pattern to make a more solid design


I so enjoyed making these circles in pretty spring colours.........


They are so portable and all through the Summer I added to my growing circle collection. I made them on beaches in Norfolk, Wales and Dorset.

 East and West and South we travelled..........


Then in September we went  Oop North, to Yarndale :0)



Oh yes I loved my circles.............


I had a little plan....to border each circle with different colours. Then in October I had a bit of a wobble. Maybe a  white or cream border might look better?

I experimented and decided if I left a few of the brighter colours out my blanket could look jolly, but not too busy..........



In November I finally got around to the time consuming job of writing a TUTORIAL for you lovelies.....


And I called my design my Little Sunburst Square

Joining gathered pace, then slowed again. This has been a long term project..........


In December I replenished my dwindling Stylecraft stash and joining progressed some more........


Then, finally, last week I reached  the border............


It's just a simple affair,  five rounds of granny clusters, followed by a round of single crochet.......


I used THIS method I always use to avoid the dreaded wavy border.

Actually this border did end up a little curly and tight...so I used the method of steam blocking that Lucy shared in THIS post to flatten it out and relax the yarn.


So would you like to see the finished blanket?


Ta-Dah........



Ohhh, I love it. Though this photo makes it look rather washed out....I'm not sure why.

Lets go outside and hang it on the washing line.

There...that's better!


The colours glow in the sunshine and I love to see it flapping gently in the breeze........


Here it is on a single bed, so you can get an idea of size...........


It measures  72 x50 inches   and it's made using 17 colours of Stylecraft special double knitting acrylic yarn.

I made 220 circles and used 216 of them in the finished blanket. They are joined-as-you-go into a blanket that's 12 motifs across and 18 motifs long.

The colours are.......

Raspberry, Pale Rose, Cloud Blue, Meadow, Khaki,  Saffron, Lemon, Parchment, Silver, Camel, Lavender, Bluebell, Aster, Spring Green,  White, Fondant and Violet............


I'm so happy with how this blanket has turned out. Really Happy Happy Happy :0)

It was a lot of work due to the huuuuge number of colour changes. I don't even want to think about all those ends that had to be securely sewn in ....but in the end it was all worth the time and effort.



It's a solid design with real weight and a really cosy feel. It's just the right size to keep on the back of a chair or the sofa. ready for some serious Winter snuggling ....



  while we dream of Springtime 
Jacquie x

67 comments:

  1. Truly a labour of love, it's just simply beautiful! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! What a project - and what a result! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. Beautiful Blanket
    Julie xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a beautiful new blanket, Jacquie. Well done! The colours look lovely all together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wauw. What a beautiful blanket. It makes me smile while I'm having a rough time at school! Just Wauw!!!!! Have a good creative day! :-)

    Lovely greetings,
    Emily
    (casacreaemilia.blogspot.nl)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, this is AMAZING! Well done, they really are a labour of love aren't they :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do I love it or do I love it?? I'll tell the truth: I LOVE it!! ; ) And your hyacinth looks great too, mine are reborn in the little garden outside, so it'll take some time to see them in bloom...

    ReplyDelete
  8. completely beautiful and so so springy!

    http://asaucystitch.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful and I'm sure will be treasured for years to come. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's gorgeous, so very reminiscent of all those beautiful spring flowers. And a really good size too, I'm sure it will be put to very good use. I can't believe Country Living have sent the March issue already, it's not even February yet! Nice to look ahead to spring though. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a huge amount of satisfaction when you finely finish a project almost like a memory blanket each time as it holds so many. Its gorgeous and I love your use of colours. Enjoy snuggling up underneath it. I think Spring is defiantly round the corner :-) dee x

    ReplyDelete
  12. You chose lovely, lovely colours and a gorgeous blanket is the result. Makes me think Spring will be here very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow Jacquie what a fabulous blanket. It's such a joy to finish something and be able to have that glowwy feeling. Thanks for sharing all your wonderful work. I love reading your blog it's such an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really beautiful blanket& it looks like a breath of Spring.x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your blanket is really beautiful, well done x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I smell that hyacinth all the way in the United States! I LOVE your blanket! It is gorgeous and so springlike! My favorite season. I just want to snuggle up under it on that bed and wait for spring to show up. I'm still working on my WIP's. I wonder how long it will be before I break that resolution! And girl, you got some suntanned sandal feet going on there, which really reminds me of spring and summer!

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's gorgeous! Truly a springtime blanket.
    What a little persistence, some love and a lot a labour can do.

    greetings from The Netherlands
    Anita

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous! I love the scrumptious colors. They really pop and look like springtime.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, it's such a fab blanket and I just love the coloursxx Roll on Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jacquie, that is just amazing, I absolutely love it, well done you, it is just perfect xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful for sure! Yes we dream about Spring, but with a blanket like yours, we want to stay a little bit in Winter just to stay Under the blanket.
    Miss

    ReplyDelete
  22. Spring is definitely what comes to mind when you look at that beautiful blanket, the colours are a real delight.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely lovely! So pretty:) it is sort of snowing here in Gloucestershire!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely!! Colors are wonderful and so springy!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful blanket! LOVE the happy colours very muchly

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh! It's gorgeous! Congrats! It definitely brings spring to mind. I think these grey days of winter has influenced my crochet of late...working totally in gray wool. lol Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your blanket is gorgeous! I don't want to think about all of those ends though. My goodness, that was a lot of work. But so worth it. Thank you for all of the information you gave us too. Makes me think about starting a blanket. But goodness, all of those ends.....
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  28. It's lovely! Definitely very 'spring time' - that's a perfect name for it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is so lovely and happy. I have mede two of Solstrikkes pattern, and now this is screaming to me...Make meeeee. Thanhs for pattern.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love your springtime blanket
    Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your Springtime blanket is fabulous. The colours work so well together. Congratulations on such a huge finish.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the colours very cheery on a dull winter day.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Who needs spring when you've got that? it is absolutely amazing. Well Done you. I am hoping for the same feeling when I finish my double quilt but I am trying to enjoy the journey not race to the end and you have just proved that taking your time is SOOOOOO worthwhile. Jo xxx

    http://joeveryday19@blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a gem of a blanket, full of jewel box colours. It looks so lovely on the line and so cosy on the bed. So worth all that work. Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  35. ŠšŠ°Šŗ ŠŗрŠ°ŃŠøŠ²Š¾!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. It's really beautiful Jacquie ~ the colours work really well together :O)x

    ReplyDelete
  37. Absolutely Beautiful! Well done. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh wow I just have to comment.....I started with a twitch, then a slight tingle in my upper lip and then as each photo appeared the smile got bigger! What a wonderful happy piece of ...art? work?... love? What a wonderful thing you have created - in awe. Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow! That really is beautiful - I love the blues and greens, so fresh and vibrant. Well done!
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  40. It's beautiful, Jacquie. I love the colors, especially the greens. I've just finished my first blanket in awhile too, it feels so good to finish a project again.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Beautiful blanket, wonderful colours, beautifully made.

    ReplyDelete
  42. It looks absolutely beautiful. xx

    ReplyDelete
  43. Blanket love in its purest form.

    ReplyDelete
  44. It's just beautiful, I love it.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  45. EstƔ fantastico. ParabƩns
    Maria JosƩ

    ReplyDelete
  46. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeout! Do take a bow, Jacquie. xo

    ReplyDelete
  47. Well done. The blanket is gorgeous.
    Thanks for all the great photos of your walks. Love them every time.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Absolutely stunning!!!! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Glorious! Such a fab mix of colours, a real family heirloom x

    ReplyDelete
  50. Wow.. So beautiful.. So lovely... so pleasin...soothing.Wonderful.. Congratulations... Joy for years to come

    ReplyDelete
  51. It does look lovely. Fab choice of yarn colours, and the whole post is a good reminder that spring is just around the corner really, even if it should snow!

    ReplyDelete
  52. That's a stunning blanket Jacquie the colours are perfect for Spring and it's a perfect size for snuggling under too. x

    ReplyDelete
  53. Oh my goodness,what a Stunning blanket well done you,such a talent you have.Thanks for sharing it with us,love the happy colours.xx

    ReplyDelete
  54. I love a good Ta Dah and this is one of the best! Such a beautiful blanket, Jacquie. And you've made me think I need to have another look at the 'Meadow' colour as I love it here in your blanket and I've previously thought that the Stylecraft didn't do quite the right green. I would love to make a big jolly blanket like this but all those ends definitely put me off!
    Enjoy all your winter snuggling,
    Jones x
    PS. I hope you don't mind - over at mine I shared that lovely drawing you did in my Christmas card. I never did thank you properly, so sorry! I'm trying to find a bit more time to blog, hope it won't be another 7 months til my next post!

    ReplyDelete
  55. It's absolutely stunning. Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Wow, really beautiful! Love the colors!!
    Kate :}

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.