Friday 23 December 2016

My Advent Calendar ♥ 23rd December

Hello Lovelies,
on Christmas eve we have family round which is great, if rather hectic. The family help, but tomorrow will be a day of housework and an evening of cooking. I love it but  I do find I envy those who snuggle up quietly in front of the telly, to watch a heartwarming story somewhat. 

This evening hubby was out and I saw a chance to watch a DVD of my choice. I lit candles.


And got out my crochet to work on, though I didn't actually do much hooking.


As the wind and rain of Storm Barbara raged outside (ok, raged maybe exaggerating thing a little, but it is wet and windy) I sat down to watch a movie which was filmed in the place I grew up. It was fun to location spot beautiful  Wycoller on a sunny spring day.


and the track to the Bronte falls (I think)



Haworth Churchyard.


and the  Keighley and worth Valley Railway


But of course that was not the main reason I wanted to re-watch The Railway Children.


It's just such a lovely movie.


With great acting, beautiful costumes, humour and sadness in just the right proportions...oh and great scenery :0)


 The Railway Children was filmed on location in Haworth and the surrounding villages in the summer my brother was born. Mum's memory is that the weather was fabulous and the fields were filled with buttercups.


She watched quiet a lot of the filming, and so as a four year old I guess I may have seen some of it too. Though my memory is not good enough to remember that far back, I do recognise many of the places. This bakers shop was a general store called Southams when I was a child ( It's a gift shop now)


and the butchers you can see here is Haworth Tourist information Centre 


 Shops on Haworth Main Street



 the lane up to the Church.


and Haworth Church it's self


I had such a lovely time quietly watching this touching story, which I haven't seen for a few years.


It has a great ending, which , I'm sure lots of you lovelies are familiar with.




And it was the perfect viewing for my early Christmas Eve :0)

Jacquie x

5 comments:

  1. What a nice evening you had! I've never seen that movie but I bet I would love it. We're alone this evening as our son and DIL and 2 grandsons are at her sister's house for a party dinner. It is nice and quiet. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉
    *M*E*R*R*Y* *C*H*R*I*S*T*M*A*S*!*
    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for these pictures .I wish I could watch this movie .
    It's all I like about England and my daughter too .
    Living in Chicago last summer she made the Coast to coast walk and loved it so much .y.s

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its wonderful movie, and my favourite book and I have just introduced it to my grandchildren.

    Julie xxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must confess I've never seen the movie, although I did read the book when I was little. The scenery is beautiful, and no doubt all the more special if you recognise it. I hope you have a good day, despite the hectic-ness of it all. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely, to see it all through your memories, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.