Saturday 31 December 2016

The Final Walk of 2016

Hello Lovelies,
a few of you may remember that last year I completed my challenge to walk 1000 miles in 2015 on the last day of the year. We enjoyed a walk in beautiful Dovedale to celebrate.
This year I managed to reach the same goal by the end of November but I still wanted to walk somewhere special to round off my walking year.
Luckily hubby was happy to go along with this plan and we loaded the boys in the car this morning and headed to Baslow

I can't say they were too thrilled but happily, right next to the car park is this tempting shop.


The traditional sweets made me smile.


soon hubby and boys emerged with paper bags full of treats, oh coconut mushrooms. It's years since I've tasted these. They were GOOD.


We munched happily and headed...as the sign says....uphill


It's quiet a long, steep climb from the valley bottom, first past pretty stone cottages.


 then between stone walls


We climbed steadily, stopping to admire the view, and to say hello to these friends.


 Soon we were high enough to see the view towards Chatsworth House.


It stood out even more as it's partly covered in scaffolding and white plastic.


Then we were on the moor, Yay.


I do love to walk in this landscape. It reminds me of the moorland above where I grew up, particularly THIS place






After the climb it was so nice to stroll along the sandy paths and breath the fresh moorland air. It was breezy but not particularly cold.


Close to the edge there was a great view  over the villages of Claver and Curbar nestled below.


Here it was really windy and hard to take a steady photo.
 




It was a relief to get back on the main track.


And descend a little.


I loved the changing light as the clouds scudded across the sky and the sun occasionally broke through.
 




We stopped here and sat on a bench eating snacks I brought from home, washed down by a little  hot chocolate from a thermos.


 Then started off again, descending stone steps


I'm always looking back at the view behind.


Because sometimes it's REALLY pretty.





 The path got a bit challenging here. Hubby and middle son attempted to carry youngest ( who was wearing trainers) through this bog...that did not go well. But was quite amusing to watch :0)


One soggy foot later we carried on. How I loved the sunlit hillsides.





and the Highland cattle, perfecting blending in with their surroundings.


Sometimes.


It was not the prettiest of weather and there is no denying that December is often a rather dreary month, but I still loved the landscape.




As the cloud really gathered we arrived back at Baslow. It felt nice to be back on the pretty streets, noticing the quirky touches.


And the Christmas cheer.


 Back home I defrosted some Homemade soup as a healthy lunch.... to hopefully counteract those sweets a little  :0)


It was a lovely day and the four miles we walked today takes my total this year to 1083. Yay

I keep a tally of miles walked by simply noting a running total each month on a separate calendar. This year it was a free one from my walking magazine...and not very exciting. But next year I have this one to look forward to.

Here's to another great walking year for all of us who can. 

Happy New Year Lovelies, wishing you much health and happiness in 2017. Thank you all for visiting here and the kind comments you leave me.
love
Jacquie xxx

p.s. If this walk seems at all familiar we first attempted it HERE

13 comments:

  1. I love coming with you on these walks ☺
    Happy new year ~ also to your mum ~ am loving her pics on instagram

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another lovely walk. Thank you so much for sharing your stunning photos and walks this year, you are so inspirational. Happy 2017 to you and your family. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful walk! Thank you for taking us along so much this year. I've loved the views of the countryside that I'll probably never get to see in person. You make it seem like I'm there. Happy new year my friend.
    Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed following along!! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    *:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*
      *H*A*P*P*Y* *N*E*W* *Y*E*A*R*!*
    *:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another wonderful walk, thank you, with lots to see and admire through your great photos. Happy New Year and I am already looking forward to your 2017 walks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Congratulations to you for going beyond your walking goal! Well done. That new calendar looks just right for logging walking miles in. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year to you too. I shall look forward to seeing you walking adventures as the 2017 miles clock up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much taking me along! Happy New Year, Jacquie!.xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It has been great following along on your walks again over the last year. Thank you for sharing them with us. I think your target to walk over 1000 miles in a year is wonderful and I hope one day I can achieve that too. Not likely this year as I have all sorts of "stuff" to deal with right now, but I have it in my sights for the future. Have a wonderful 2017 and I'm looking forward to sharing many more of your walks. Elaine x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New year, Jacqui! And well done not only on achieving your target to walk a 1000 miles last year, but also managing another 83 miles which itself is more than a lot of people walk per year. You really are an inspiration! Looking forward to your walks this year and sending you best wishes xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jacquie,
    I have enjoyed your beautiful photographs and travelogues all year. Thank you for taking the time and effort to share them here and congratulations on reaching your walking goal again in 2016. I look forward to another year of fascinating scenery and interesting tales from you in 2017. May the new year bring you all the best in life.
    Cheers, Jodie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done! I'm definitely hoping it's a better year for walking this year (509 for me in 2016). I've notice here a lot of people are teaming up (fitbit users) and trying for the goal of 2017 miles in 2017 (total miles of the group).

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.