Friday 25 March 2011

My Patches Bag

Hello Lovelies,
My WHAT a week we have been treated to weather wise. More like May than March.
I think the change in the season has given me so much creative inspiration . I have many, many ideas in my head at the moment,  it's quite distracting.
I don't really have time to go to work or do any housework , sadly work is a must..... and housework....lets not talk about that (coughs)
During quiet moments at work I've been jotting down ideas in my little OWL notebook ......



This week my ideas were inspired by an e.mail from my friend Cath. I expect many of you lovelies receive these messages too. This is what she wanted me to see. Cath Kidston Floral Patches Bag.
Ooooh , lovely ! Just my style of bag with lots of added prettiness :0)
While I was drooling over this image my youngest climbed up on my lap , as often happens ,and his reaction was....." £65 mummy ! You could make that" .....Could I ? I don't have any fabric like this to use , but I could certainly pretty up a plain bag . I've done it before a couple of times Here and Here.
So on Wednesday I hunted round a few charity shops and  found this denim bag in a similar style.........



I popped it in the wash then removed the numbers on the corner of the flap, You could still see where they had been, but I could easily cover that. ......



Here is the inside , ummmm, not great......



Next for the fun part, rather than try to imitate Cath I came up with my own design . A little Owl made from felt, similar to the ones I made here ............



Some circle flowers and some leaves.............




Looking promising :0)
 I removed the lining from the flap and got busy hand sewing the design to my bag. Here's how it turned out ............



Oooooh , I'm so pleased with this simple project . It's been a bit of a pain to photograph as the denim seems to make the felt look all washed out. But the flowers are actually brightly coloured . I've modeled it for you so you can see what a practical handbag it is . I love being able to wear it across my body .............






Here's a close up ..........



And here you can see I managed to add a bit of floral goodness and a magnetic closure.............



I was going to line the whole bag with this fabric , but I'm loath to use too much of it as it's original 80's from my stash :0)

I did copy THIS from Cath ......



A great fun touch made with some ready made pom poms and some yarn.

Right , onwards with my crochet for a while , till another idea pops in my head :0)

My mark II  hexagons are looking so pretty and colourful , more of them next time .Have a great weekend.
Jacquie x

38 comments:

  1. Oh I was big impressed with what you did! Your bag turned out so beautiful! I love the owl embellishment, so special! And the lining with magnetic snaps look very cute! Oh I love it too, you're awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yours is heaps better than the 65-pound version!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...this is SO cute! I LOVE that little owl. Very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow good job!! The bag looks a hundred times better now. Love your little owl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic bag makeover and the owl, well let's just say he/she is so cute. I love the pom pom touch too.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jacquie you are so talented - this bag looks great. The lining really adds the final touch. Well done!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it, i have kept a stash of DB's old jeans, I shall make a bag from some of them - i love the owl design - froogs xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooo, you've made a much prettier one than Cath's in my humble opinion...:0)

    I love your little owl, he's so cute.
    And obviously, you must value your son's opinion more often jaquie :o)

    Have a great weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now tell the truth, did you suck in your tummy for the photo?!! You've spurred me on with my post baby diet, you look so fab!

    Loving your bag upcycle, it's gorgeous. I particularly like the circle flowers, really effective.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow that looks amazing what a great idea to adapt a bag to ;-) love the owl and pom poms very cute, well done you ;-) dee x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, absoltely wonderful transformation! I love the owl, it is so cute! And the lining fabric is my favorite...

    I have been trying to find a new pattern for crochet hexagons and based it on your mini's. Do you mind if I link up to you for that pattern?

    Have a lovely weekend Jacquie! I hope is it as sunny as last week.
    love, Maaike

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant bag makeover and far more creative than your friend Cath's version!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Jacquie! You made that bag so wonderful and unique! Thank you for inspiration to fix old bags! All your bags are so great, I love those crochet bags, too!
    You live in a beautiful countryside!
    Have a lovely weekend! Teje

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it - pimping a bag might have to go on my to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow that's amazing!!!! Love it. Oh I have been making some of your lovely bunting. Just need to block and string up now. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooo yes frugal queen, jeans!!! How inspiring Jaquie and so practical and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i too saw that bag and thought should i make on, now i've seen yours (its fantabulous byt the way!!!) i'm definitely going to give it a go i picked up a khaki bag at the charity shop ages ago with the intention of turning it into my camera/handbag so i think i'll use that the only problem is its quite light weight so i may have to come up with a way of padded it out!!! but thanks very much for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cath should be rightly jealous of this one! What a great idea.

    Cant wait to see more of those hexies!

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW! LOVE IT!!! ....I have said this before, but you are SO talented!! You should start selling them! x

    ReplyDelete
  20. So clever and I bet you love it more than you would a real Cath because you've made it yourself. I love a cross-body bag - hands free for catching a run-away 3 year old!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like your bag better than the one you got your idea from. Not only did you save yourself some money, you recycled a cast off from someone else and made it terrific. You are a clever girl indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love it! You are so creative! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh wow! I was impressed with the owl, then I scrolled down and saw how cute the lining is! Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a fab makeover, what a difference, it is like a completely different bag, lovely!!! Those pom poms finish it off v nicely too :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's wonderful and so much better in many ways, there is not another one like it for starters!
    Very clever of you.
    Kandi x

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a brilliant idea - I'd never have thought of redesigning a bag to make it my own. I have no idea how to do lining but I'm sure I could learn! Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fabulous work Jacquie. A really trendy effective makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Jacquie, loving the bag, what a great idea, and much nicer than the CK one! x

    ReplyDelete
  29. It looks fabulous Jacquie!The little owl is so cute!You do the best bag makeovers! saved yourself £65 too!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a transformation, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a great bag makeover - mr owl is very handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Good morning Jacquie
    Great little project the outcome is just lovely!
    Amazing!
    I do love your wreath over to the right,
    crafty lady you are!!!!
    Hugs suex

    ReplyDelete
  33. You are a genius... I am jealous. It's official.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh, this owl is so cute! :) I think your little one was right. You have made a wonderful bag. I especially love the floral inside!

    ReplyDelete
  35. So lovely!! I am a bit obsessed by owls, I love that little fella you made for the front, t-wit t-woo! I reckon you should make these bags and sell them. I love the floral fabric you used to line it. Lovely stuff :o)
    Jones x

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love the owl.
    To find the Flickr group just click on the photo scavenger hunt logo. it should be there. i just used it an hour ago!
    Good luck!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  37. Super cute. You were lucky to find a bag so close in style to the Cath Kidston one. I really love the felt owl on denim look. Well done. Hope you enjoy using it. x

    ReplyDelete
  38. It's excellent. Love the owl and his flowers, great job!

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.