Sunday 21 December 2014

Sparkle and Shine II

Hello Lovelies,
yesterday we travelled into the city to pay a visit to the Christmas market. It's the second year of this new addition to our build up to Christmas and I'm happy we have at least found something we enjoy doing together, now the days of  happy primary school advent events are behind us.

The city was bustling and ( not having to shop) I loved the atmosphere.......


we waited until it was almost dark ( 4pm) to arrive as we simply love all the twinkling fairy lights......


It's set up near a posh arcade...so we popped in there too...........


It all looked lovely with the deep blue twilight sky above........


and in an expensive gallery this gorgeous print caught our eye.........it's such a dream like winter image....perfect for the shortest days..........

You can see it more clearly HERE...click on the picture in the link to enlarge.

Outside again the sky still had a tinge of pink...........


But it was dark enough for these delightful cabins, and the equally delightful surrounding buildings, to look their festive best........


Everything was pretty much identical to last year.....I was so happy to see the carousel again.........


and there was fun for the smaller children too............


My boys were happy to see the hot chocolate stall was exactly how they remembered it......



time for a treat....with all the trimmings...........


the traditional fairground "hook-a-duck" was transformed into "rescue rudolf".........


We don't actually do much here, except wander around soaking up the atmosphere. The boys are good ice skaters, but they are happy to simply watch the action on the outdoor rink. And I'm happy just taking photos ....it's such a feast for the eyes and a brilliant way to wake up your festive spirit......


I tried to get an arty shot, using the reflections in the fountains here, copying a man with a huge camera :0) but I'm not sure it came out that well..........



I think I'm best just snapping away at whatever catches my eye..........


And recording how it made me feel. That's what's great about blogging.

If you read last years post this will all be quiet familiar.
 And like last year my treat was a cup of Mushy peas from the Hot Pea House :0)


Last year I remember I got  lots of comments about this traditional Northern and Midlands  British food.....so here's a picture of mine with loads of mint sauce.........

Slightly odd looking.......but oh so yummy!

Happy Winter ( or Summer ) Solstice Lovelies.
Jacquie x

24 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos - thank you for sharing. Happy Winter Solstice to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks a wonderful visit! That is a great photo of the reflecting lights in the water. What an atmospheric print as well. You have really captured the spirit of the Christmas market! Hope you enjoy this week...almost here!
    Best wishes
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like my kind of place.....and even though I am a 'southern' girl, I am rather partial to mushy peas too!! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a fabulous and sparkly place to visit! You got there at just the right time for great photos! I loved it all and enjoyed learning about your mushy peas and mint! I would try that, as I love mint. Thanks for sharing.. I super enjoyed seeing everything. Your photos are spectacular! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉
    *M*E*R*R*Y* *C*H*R*I*S*T*M*A*S*!*
    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks fantastic, you've captured all those lights beautifully. I especially love the baubles outside the stone pillared building - wonderful. That print is gorgeous indeed, well spotted. That's a really lovely tradition you've started, definitely something to look forward to each year. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely tradition - I think I'd enjoy the hot chocolate! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed your festive photos. Thanks for sharing. We have faggots with our mushy peas :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous place for festive site seeing, so much better when your not frazzled hunting gifts. I've not had mushy peas, but here in the southern US new year's day calls for black eyed peas, cornbread and greens (collards, mustard or turnip greens), a tradition for good fortune in the coming year, the peas represent coins, the greens paper money and cornbread for gold. A happy winter solstice to you! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. The arty shot is lovely, but the one below it is spectacular!

    What a cheery fair - we have nothing like that here. I like the fascinating glimpses into the stalls. The hot chocolate looks wonderful, and the mushy peas rather festive. Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It all looks wonderful and very festive. Merry Christmas.
    Jacqui xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks beautiful. I like the helter-skelter in the background, and those peas look tasty too!
    S x

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks like a really nice and cozy christmas market! The ones here in Germany are usually packed with people... I miss the smaller ones where one can actually walk and enjoy the stalls (like the one you went too!)

    Take care
    Anne
    http://crochetbetweentwoworlds.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  13. How beautiful! It looks like you had a wonderful time

    ReplyDelete
  14. A lovely post! We went to our local Christmas market a couple of weeks ago, and I agree that it's much better when you haven't got much actual shopping to do. Great photos too. I'm with you on the mushy peas! I make pea and mint soup which is delicious and very similar; good on cold wintry days :)
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is lovely just walking round, we have been round this year it's the start of Christmas when the German market comes to town.. I just love the carousel...
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely market, Christmassy indeed! : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. My son's favourite bit about our Christmas market is getting some hot chocolate. Your pictures of the market are great.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's such a lovely Christmas event...I can only imagine how much organization and energy went into making it happen. Lovely to learn that it seems to have become a tradition.

    Your photographs really do capture the festive spirt just after sundown. xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was totally smitten with the hot chocolate, but then... mushy peas and mint sauce, just perfect on a winter's evening! I haven't had this from a stall for ages and now have a craving! Great photos of the Christmas market in the evening, magical. Wishing you and yours a very merry Christmas xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is all so beautiful!! I really like your arty shot and the one below it!! Glad you had such a great time. Happy Christmas! xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Many people complain when things are "the same as last year" or "the same year after year" but that is what 'tradition' is. Your boys had happy memories from the previous year and to meet their expectation of seeing their favourite stalls, 'just as they remembered them" brings feelings of previous Christmas's happiness to augment this year's Christmas cheer. Some things need to stay the same and I am glad that you have found a new tradition for your family to enjoy at Christmas. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wishing you a magical Christmas time. Love and kisses. From Spain.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nottingham looks great this year doesn't it.....I had a lovely day there last week, although a lot of it was spent eating some lovely food up by the lace market! Have a lovely christmas :) xxx

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.