Monday 14 December 2020

Foggy and Festive

 Hello Lovelies, how was your week? I've been looking forward to popping by and chatting with you again.

Once again this post is a mix of things that have ended up caught on camera since we last spoke.

The weather has been quiet cold and sometimes foggy, as it was last Tuesday when I went for a rather soggy walk.



There were only glimpses of the watery sun occasionally, but I actually love being out on the footpaths in weather like this, so I didn't mind. I'm still recording my mileage and hoping to reach my new goal of 1100 miles by the end of the month....45 miles to go, as of today.

Winter brings flocks of birds into the fields near home, and zooming in gives me chance to identify them.

I'd say these are Starlings

and these are hungry Redwing, come to feast on the Hawthorn berries.


I do love the quiet peace of this scene.

And happily enjoyed my solo walk.


When I got to the churchyard Mr Robin appeared immediately 

All fluffed up against the cold and damp, keen to refuel on the sunflower seeds and suet pellets he knows I carry.


I was watching him from a distance here, when I noticed movement in this ancient yew tree.


Not the best photo, but I was so happy to see this delightful Goldcrest darting about between the branches. They are so small and cute. As this was my first sighting here this was the highlight of my walking week.


On the way home I spotted this sign which also made me smile. Yes, I'll be doing my best to stay safe this Christmas, and hoping to make up for missed opportunities later next year. 


This is not a great photo but it is inside Eldest's van. He's been driving for 3 years now and I love being a passenger these days. You get such a great vantage point from van windows and it's a great place to chat about anything and everything uninterrupted. In these days when there's little reason or incentive to go anywhere accompanying him on a work errand feels like a major adventure :0)
  

Back at home the birthday cards and banner have come down. I knew I would miss the banner so I decided to make a festive version. It uses the same Attic 24 Pennant pattern 


and this time I designed my own lettering as I wanted it to look like a handwritten quote.


Once I was happy with how the paper letters looked I just had to cut them out in white felt.


The snowflakes are once again  from Attic 24,  HERE's the link again.

I made these using some cotton yarn and the smallest hook that I could get away with so they fitted.

 I'm so happy with the completed banner.


At the weekend hubby and I went for an evening walk to admire the decorations displayed in our local streets.




They certainly cheer up the long hours of darkness 


Back home our outdoor lights are making me happy too.


And just yesterday, when it was so rainy and dark I never set foot outside the door at all, I made another bit of festive crochet.

Yay, I love how this Merry Mushroom turned out. I think I may have to make some more as gifts:0)

You can find the free pattern HERE.

Thank you as always for reading and especially for commenting. I do hope your week goes well.

Jacquie x


22 comments:

  1. Wonderful hike through the countryside..your photos bring it to life. Sounds like your walking challenge is going well. Mr Robin is adorable and so good to see you are taking care of him. He certainly seems as if he enjoys the goodies you bring. When visiting UK I used to travel with my sister on the school bus she drove around the Lincolnshire countryside to pick up or drop off the kiddies. As you said you see so much more as the passenger and we had a wonderful time catching up on all family gossip :-). Your banner is gorgeous and the mushroom too! I have downloaded the pattern as it looks like a quick make. keep well. Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this lovely comment Amanda. Stay safe xx

      Delete
    2. Sorry I forgot to mention...I love the lights too :-) A x

      Delete
  2. Your merry mushroom is very cute! Thank you for sharing a pattern. It's interesting to read about your walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margi. Hope you give the mushroom a whirl x

      Delete
  3. A lovely walk, I do love this time of year. The bunting is brilliant, you've made a great job of it and it looks perfect along your mantelpiece. Excellent mushroom too! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much CJ. I'm really happy with the bunting especially as it's a one off. This time of year is certainly growing on me as I get older. Have a good week xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photo's. The countryside around where you live is wonderful. Well done on your walking. Thats an achievement you will remember for 2020. Love your mantel and garland too. Its so nice to be able to walk around your streets and see the festive lights. I think people are enjoying the simple pleasures this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are Caz, we still have loads to be grateful for despite all the restrictions. Thank you for the kind comment x

      Delete
  6. I've only seen a goldcrest once and it was quite a magical encounter under an old yew tree in a churchyard. He let me get very close and stayed quite a while before he flew away. Perhaps they have a thing for yew trees? Your crochet is lovely, I think you've just added a mushroom to my list of things to make in the slow days after Christmas. I think they are regarded as a symbol of good luck in some European countries and given at New Year (but I might have made that up!). Stay safe and take care. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a coincidence with the Goldcrest, I think they must find something to eat within the Yew branches. I hope you are right about the mushrooms. I've already made a second...off to do a third now :0)
      x

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed the fresh air with you on your hike. Bravo on the banner.. you knocked it out of the park! I think that little Robin is your personal darling bird, sweet of you to keep him fed and healthy.

    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉
    *M*E*R*R*Y* *C*H*R*I*S*T*M*A*S*!*
    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you for the lovely comment Teresa. I love your turn of phrase. I'm sure I can hear you speaking when I read your words.
      Merry Christmas and hugs to you
      Jacquie x

      Delete
  8. Love, Love , LOVE your banner. The lettering is spot on. Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Jacquie, I have just discovered that you are blogging regularly and have enjoyed a catch up via your recent posts. Congratulations on your retirement and on reaching 1000 miles on your walking challenge (why isn't everywhere like a mud bath as it is round here?). As always, your photos are a delight and your crafting so beautifully done. Good to see you back! Vicki in the East Riding

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vicki, lovely to hear from you again. It is pretty muddy around here :0)
      Thank you for the kind words.
      Jacquie x

      Delete
  10. Hello Jacquie, I have just discovered that you are blogging regularly and have enjoyed a catch up via your recent posts. Congratulations on your retirement and on reaching 1000 miles on your walking challenge (why isn't everywhere like a mud bath as it is round here?). As always, your photos are a delight and your crafting so beautifully done. Good to see you back! Vicki in the East Riding

    ReplyDelete
  11. Let it snow ... yes, such a beautiful banner.
    We already had snow, but everything thawed again and last week it was cloudy, wet and gray ... but today there was sun and a good mood all day :-))
    The tour here in the blog with you was a lot of fun .. . Many thanks.
    Have fun and continue to have a great Advent season.
    Many greetings to you. Viola
    Yes and thanks for the DropsDesign transcript ... cute :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words Viola. Merry Christmas x

      Delete
  12. Olá! Seu blogue e muito bonito, belas fotos, tudo que você faz e adorável!
    Tomara que seu natal tenha sido feliz! Tenha um ótimo 2021!
    Cuide-se! Hugs!
    https://siempretejiendo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.