Tuesday 18 December 2012

Christmas Making

Hello Lovelies,
This year I didn't plan to make any particular things for Christmas. However some seasonal making has  occurred.
They are all quite quick and simple projects .....some times I do love making things in one sitting.
The most simple are paper snowflakes.......


I make a few of these every year , the boys usually give then a go too. They are super simple and I love the way you never know what they will look like when you are snipping away at the folded paper. It's not till you unfold them you get to see the final pattern revealed. I've stuck them up in our conservatory.........


 As you can see I've also been making these huge paper stars, inspired by Tina over at Tea and Woolly socks ........


There's a link to a clear video on how to make these in her blog post HERE.

As I mentioned in my previous post I've also made some chutney to give as gifts. I've kept a small jar for our house which I have tested ...it's yummy.
 It was really easy to make , worked out costing about £1 per large jar ( bargain ), and I got to prettify the jars with fabric and ribbon......Perfect :0)


HERE is the recipe link again, thank you for sharing, Gillian.

Another spur of the moment make , this time inspired by necessity rather than blogland, are some simple cards. I had these window card blanks lying around so looked for something to pop in them. Last year mum painted me a lovely picture of a Robin on some frosty Hogweed, which I had photographed already. So I simply cropped the picture and printed off a few copies.


I used some sticky letters from my stash to add festive words. And cut out some simple holly leaves to add to the ones that only got small writing :0)


This really was a quick, use up what you've got, project . Great fun and very satisfying. In fact I liked them so much that I kept one to display on my Welsh dresser.............


I'm still loving having this wonderful piece of furniture to play with and I change things around quite regularly. It's great fun.

Another fun thing I did , just yesterday, was to revamp my old door wreath. It's artificial and I've had it for quite a few years. Gradually all the old bit's and bobs are falling off so last year I added the Merry Christmas sign and this year I added some more artificial holly.........


I thought it looked pretty good . Then yesterday I saw Lucy's wonderful crochet creation. I would love to make something like that. It's so inspiring . I particularly love all the different crochet mixed in with shiny baubles.
I may have a go at something similar next year but in the mean time I decided to do a quick makeover  on my door wreath by adding baubles to it............


The great thing about this is, again I just used what I had . I nicked a few baubles from the tree and tied them on with yarn . It would be super easy to take them off and try a different colour theme next year.( I'm thinking candy canes and multicoloured baubles ).
It was yet another super fun project and makes me happy, happy happy.

 Lucy described her wreath as "a bit bonkers and over the top",well if mine looks a bit bonkers too I'm glad........


Christmas is the perfect time to go a little bit over the top, don't you think ?

Jacquie x

P.S. I'm also looking forward to Kirstie's Vintage Christmas . 8pm Channel 4 this Wednesday.

 Some of her latest series is available on the internet at the moment HERE. I love her enthusiasm for all things hand made.....but wish she could try nicer crochet projects. Did anybody see the crochet jelly fish in last weeks episode ? Why oh why did they not just make some colourful granny squares !

29 comments:

  1. woweeee!!!! truly lovely festive post! your mothers robin artwork is so lovely and such lovely cards!!!!...your conservatory looks so pretty- cant have enough paper cut snow flakes ;0)
    yesterday afternoon they showed kirstie in her devon cottage making wreaths and a glass bauble...her home is my dream!!! that episode was on last year, so was a repeat, but loved watching it again. merry christmas bunnys xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply beautiful, love the paper snowflakes, great idea. Yummy chutney and cute cards with robins. Love your wreath, overtop is perfect lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all your cheerful and homemade Christmas decorations. The paper snowflakes are marvellous and I'm going to have a go at those big ones this week when I finish work! Your homemade cranberry chutney looks gorgeous and so well decorated! I think I'm enjoying all the friendly homely things on your dresser as much as you do!!
    I've finished my crocheted snowflakes (you can see them on the blog) and now I'm putting the finishing touches to mini table decorations in the form of crocheted granny-square stockings!
    Your wreath looks lovely: red, gold and silver and white are my favourite colours at this time of year!
    I love the robin cards too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love your cards!!!!
    xxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous cards & a pretty wreath :)

    Am going to attempt one like Lucy's for next Christmas! I think it will take me 12 months to make all those bits.

    I shall be recording Kirstie - not enjoyed all of this series but I'd like to see what she suggests for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful makes - and I love your dresser.
    L.x.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have such a talent for making beautiful cards... I got very excited last week watching Kirsty VH at the mention of crochet, to the point where I shouted "honey crochet is on the telly!" Then they made jellyfish... Took delivery of our wall unit yesterday and hubby has started painting it. It smells musty at the moment, but I am looking forward to having the storage. Your dresser looks beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very lovely, especially the robins ... please don't get me started on Kirstie!

    Love Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cards are beautiful and I love your door wreath - so festive and bright!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a beautiful Christmas! lovely things, I adore those snowflake son the window...love you cupboard, it has a festive look too.cheers! Anna

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great Christmasy post. So many lovely things you have and your dresser is looking very smart.
    Happy Christmas to you and your family......

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your snowflakes! You are really enjoying your dresser aren't you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is lovely Christmas cheer at you house Jacquie. Just gorgeous!
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made the chutney yesterday with a friend , such a nice gift idea !

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is all so perfect. Great idea to use the painting for the cards. Beautiful hutch display:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your snowflakes! It really looks like you are ready for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your snowflakes! i feel inspired to make my own!

    ReplyDelete
  18. oooh that giant star is so clever. Just watched the video so I'm going to give it a go at school tomorrow. See what chaos I can create ;)
    Merry Christmas
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. So many beautiful ideas, Jacquie!!! Thanks for posting and linking to sources for instructions, too. I am excited...what to try first??? Your cards are especially brilliant, and I appreciate your observation about using the bits and bobs around us...repurposing, creating...JOY :) xx from Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a festive post Jacquie! Love the paper stars and your wreath! I bet that chutney is delicious, lucky recipients!
    Your dresser looks gorgeous, so festive and filled with such loveliness!
    I shall be watching Kirsty later!
    Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love reading your blog and now I do it for some time
    I love crafts and cooking and your blog is very inspiring
    Give a peek at mine, is nowhere near as interesting as yours, but ...
    Thank you for sharing your day-to-day
    Patrícia

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a lovely festive post, and so many makes. That dresser is very nice, I would like one (one day, when I get my huge farmhouse kitchen with the aga...ha ha). The snowflakes are especially nice, I'm going to try those with my kids. x

    ReplyDelete
  23. An over the top wreath? Maybe. But I love it!!! And the way it is evolving over time really appeals to me. In fact I like it better than Lucy's ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good work on the Christmas Wreath, I'm sure it looks a million times better now you've given it a revamp! A wreath has been on my "to do" list for ages now!

    Merry Christmas! x

    ReplyDelete
  25. What fun it was to see this post with all the clever ideas to look around at your available materials and ... with your imagination, create terrific decorations.

    Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great!
    Greetings from Poland :)
    Katarzyna

    www.sajuki.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I showed the kids at school how to make these stars and they LOVED them. Thank you so much.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. I adore all of your Christmas creations in this post Jacquie but especially your new crocheted doily and the huge paper stars. I love seeing your rearrangements of your new dresser too...it keeps me inspired to regularly change the look of my sideboard. Merry Christmas to you and your family xox

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.