Friday 21 December 2012

On the Shortest Day.........

...............In the morning I  braved the supermarket crush to do my Christmas food shop. We and very lucky to be invited to family for Christmas day so mine was just my weekly shop plus buffet food for Christmas Eve. Twenty family and friends this year. 
It was a bit crazy but I was very happy to find  some red tulips to pop in my trolley...........


It's just a small bunch but thankfully I have the perfect jug to display them. I got this vase in the spring when I visited Yorkshire . That was a special weekend.........


This is the first year I have bought red tulips for Christmas , they are yet another blogland inspiration and I LOVE them.
Behind them you can see my card hanger. This in not new this year . It's been used every year since we came to this house but I still love it . It keeps most of our cards out of the way but easy to see and makes a lovely feature......


I'm not keen on cards on every surface but one or two especially pretty ones do make it onto the mantle......


...........This afternoon , after taking these first photos I decided to leave the housework a bit longer and make something from my new crochet book. I first saw this book over at YarnRoundHook and somehow , when I was ordering Christmas books for the boys it ended up in my basket :0)

                                               at under £5 it was an affordable treat

Quite a bit of the book is about leaning to crochet, but there are also some tempting projects. This is Erika's delightfully named "ice crystal" table mat  It's made by holding two strands of yarn together and grew super fast. In fact this took less than an hour to make ( I seem to have a thing for quick projects this Christmas).
The book  says to steam   iron the finished motif on the reverse , and thankfully it worked well.
So much quicker than blocking.........


I think it's a great , modern take on the doily and it looks perfect under my jug..........



..........In the evening I lit a couple of candles on my kitchen windowsill to quietly mark the winter solstice.........


There may be plenty of wintery weather still to come but after today the days will Slooooowly be getting longer. Yay :0)

Jacquie x

22 comments:

  1. Those tulips are lovely, both Christmassy and springlike at the same time!

    Hope you and yours have a wonderful Christmas.

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I love red tulips xx need to get some now!

    Have a lvely Christmas

    Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your red tulips look beautiful in that vase - very Christmassy! Hope that you and your family have a wonderful Christmas :0) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That book looks interesting, are there more projects than teaching? as I need projects projects projects and inspiration....but then you have given me that!
    Thank you...
    Daisy J
    Merry merry Xmas

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy your pictures!! Thanks for taking the time to take and post!!

    Merry Christmas!!
    janie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it great to know that the shortest day is now over! Your tulips represent the promise of spring! Have a wonderful Christmas.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how delightful the tulips look!!! I think the white doily is just beautiful!! Under the tulips even better...!!
    Happy Christmas to you and to all your loved ones!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the white doily is really pretty - did you use cotton? Its strange how books fall into shopping carts and trolleys isn't it. You are buying something for someone and then ... pop ..... in drops one you like!! I have this all the time. I am going off to find yours now as I would love to make the doily. Seeing your cards displayed like that reminds me of my Nanny who always used to put them up like that but held on with these teeny tiny pegs. Lily. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Jacquie, I love the doily, so pretty! It looks perfect with your jug of flowers!
    Wishing you and your family a magical Christmas!
    Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Red tulips, gorgeous red jug, new super quick to make doily, beautiful Christmas cards on display...just beautiful. Have a wonderful Christmas Jacquie.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love red tulips, good idea! I have not see that Erica Knight book, must look into it. Merry Christmas!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love your red tulips!!! The doily is beautiful, too!!!
    happy weekend, xxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely tulips and i love your crocet. I love your blog and follow it. I wish you a merry christmas and a happy new year.
    Hug

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're right, that cheerful red jug is perfect for the red tulips! I like your Christmas card with the donkey and robin! The 'ice crystal' place mat is a really pretty pattern in white! Wishing you and your family a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I never thought of red tulips for Christmas, but they are perfect - and the jug is too. I do like that donkey card on your mantel.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A lovely cheery post. I love your tulips and the little snow crystal doiley is lovely. Isn't it great to think the shortest day has passed. I hope you and yours have a lovely Christmas. Elaine x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful Tulips, and gorgeous vase and wonderful pitures.
    Thank you for sharing.
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have a lovely Christmas, Jacqui. Loved your posts and the projects you do and the photos that accompany it all.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  19. The tulips are lovely and bright, and a reminder that Spring is on the way now that we've got past the shortest day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your doiley! Just perfect with your beautiful red tulips! Hope you have a very Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Tulips atop the icy crystal doily looks great. Merry Christmas to you and all at home

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just bought my red Christmas tulips today, yipppeeee! Morrisons let me down this year and didn't have any, but thankfully Tesco had some with glitter on them which are FAB, so excited about glittery tulips this year!!!
    We celebrated Solstice with a jug of greenery and lots of candles, I think it is such a special day of the year and always prompts me count my blessings and say a secret wish or two.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.