Thursday 4 April 2013

This weeks drawing.......Childhood

Hello Lovelies,
 this week I've been drawing my childhood home. 
I was very fortunate to grow up in the countryside...well I didn't feel that fortunate when I was a teenager ....I would rather have lived closer to my friends. But as a younger child it was wonderful. My brother and I had so much space and freedom.
Our home was very picturesque too, though that's not something that occurs to you as a child.
Nestled between open fields and moorland with wonderful views and built in the eighteenth century of Yorkshire stone.
We don't own the property now and I live in a different part of the U.K. but of course I'm immensely fond of  it , it's entwined in  happy memories of my childhood and my lovely late Dad. 


Back in 2011 I took my boys to see the old place , but of course it had changed quite a bit. Thankfully the countryside around it was much the same and looked wonderful in the spring sunshine.........

You can read all about that visit HERE if you like ( it's a long post ! )

Now back to the present ....as I don't have any clear photos of the old place how it looked when I was a child , and I like drawing houses, I decided to make it the subject of my next drawing.
Using some pictures I took of how it looked on my latest visit as a reference I sketched out how it looked back in the day...well, how I remember it looking....


The next stage was to draw out the picture in my book, it's an A4 sized sketch book. 
It's probably not that clear in the photo, but I can see how my ideas have evolved and changed from the initial sketch.........



Next I went over all the foreground and detail in pen. I think it's getting much clearer now ........ our home is on the right , with a path up onto the moor running past the house in the centre of the picture , and Dad's  garage is on the left.........



And here it is coloured in.

Ta Dah :0).........

you can click on the picture to enlarge it .

Oh, I'm thrilled with how it turned out. I was really holding my breath for a lot of this drawing...willing it to work out.....willing it to look at least a bit like I remembered . And amazingly it does !

My childhood featured a lot of pets so I included a few of my favourites in this picture.
 My first pet...."Snowflake" the huge white rabbit, she had such a gentle nature and really big pink ears.....


Peeping around the wall is my Jack Russell  dog " Tilley " and sitting on the wall my favourite cat of all time " Ginger" ....he was such a friendly chap who had to have a leg amputated .
 We never found out exactly what happened to him, but he came home one day with one of his back legs badly damaged and  the vet had to remove it. He lived for many years with just three legs and could still climb and jump.....


In the centre of the picture you can just see my brother and I heading off up onto the moor, as we so often did..........



And in his garage Dad is working on one of the wheels he made for horse carriages.
He is wearing a flat cap and looking down ....I hope it looks like that........


I also decided quite late on that I should add Mum , sitting at her easel, painting the house herself. People are so tricky and while it's not really a likeness , I think she turned out quite well.

Also featured is our cat "Lottie" in the middle of the path, watching over her kittens. And Mums little Mini car .


I love that I have managed to capture my memories in this way and I'm also pleased with how sunny this picture looks.
 I'm learning that the only way to make a picture sunny is to add shadows. In this picture the light is coming from the left and I've added shadows as well as shade to surfaces that would not be in the sun.

I'm still enjoying doing these drawings a lot, and I hope you are not fed up with seeing them here.
This has got to be my favourite picture so far and I feel very fortunate to have so many lovely readers who are joining me on this drawing journey.

I love to read in my comments that some of you lovelies are inspired to do some drawing or painting.
If you have the desire to try something creative like this I believe you can learn....like learning crochet....it's just practise, guidance and encouragement we all need.
Thank you for encouraging me.
Jacquie x

70 comments:

  1. did a drawing myself today and was wondering actually at the time of drawing if I should go around the outlines with a black pen, this time decided not to , but see you have, and next time I will too. I like your drawings v much with the history that goes behind each one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your drawings are great, well done.
    Esther.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are going from strength to strength! I've always thought I couldn't draw but recently came across some art work from school and surprised myself, although it wasn't any masterpiece it wasn't rubbish.....so who knows!
    My daughter is a natural artist, she does some fantastic drawings and she's not 9 yet. She sees the detail and understands about perspective. It's like she has to draw, it's part of her makeup! Keep going, I love your style! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm new to your blog. I found you last week. I just love your wonderful drawings.
    Julie xxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this picture is so full of character - you could write a story about your childhood days in the house in the country surrounded by all your lovely animals x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot draw. But I admire art.Your work is so lovely and reading about is was so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi There, You are really so talented!! Love all the little details!!! Looking forward to your next drawing!!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that this one is my favorite so far! Love the shy little doggie peaking out from behind the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my ... this is brilliant and the memories that went with the drawing has brought a tear to my eye. Thank you so much for sharing the memory and the picture.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love all the details you incorporate into your pictures. I can so see you illustrating a children's book, children would love looking at all the details in your pictures. Ever consider doing a children's book? Thanks for sharing your lovely drawings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another beautiful drawing and that much more special as it is of your childhood home and memories. Keep going.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my word, first time at your blog and what a treat, it is super! We had so many homes then and since I should commission you, lol! To draw them all! Definitely an illustrator for books, think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh that is wonderful. I had a similar sort of childhood I guess, growing up between rocks and heather moorland in the Peak District, where I spent my childhood playing in rivers and fields and scrambling across moorland and clambering over rocks. I still live very close to my childhood home so my blog is often full of home now and I love it!

    Your drawing is fantastic - the colour and 'light' in it do actually look sunny - you did a great job there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jacquie your drawings are wonderful and it is lovely watching your progress. I love all the detail you include and the stories behind each picture. I def think you could be illustrating a children's book. I've been trying to start drawing but haven't got very far so far. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely drawing, so nice to see your posts. The details, the colours this really makes my day. I love and always want to see your drawings and posts. Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful talents. I have saved your drawings to show them to my little 4 year old daughter, may be i will have spin a yarn on it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like a wonderful place to grow up! Another lovely drawing! Angie x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love seeing all your drawings! I think this is my favourite so far and it looks like such a lovely place to grow up :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks a lovely sunny picture, as I watch yet more snow fall! xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your picture and the sentiment and memories that go with it. I love to see if I can spot Tom Tit before you tell us where he is. I won't get fed up seeing your artwork xx ( could you draw yourself doing some crochet??)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful :))))))) I just find your blog and I love it !!!
    And your owls , they er fantastic !!!!!!
    Thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful childhood you must have had growing up in such an area. I loved seeing your latest drawing. Do you still have time for crocheting?!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a brilliant way to capture your memories. The shadows definitely add to the depth. Keep drawing... I am on the learning journey of getting to grips with my sewing machine at the moment and you are right, needs some practise I think! Jo xx

    http://joeveryday19.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/a-sublime-hat.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just love your drawings Jacquie. I grew up in the country side as well,can identify with what you say about not appreciating it back then. Im lucky I can still bring my kids back to my home place quite often. Love your crochet too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi there,

    I'm new to your blog, having discovered it on bloglovin' and I'm lovin' your drawing - very talented. Say hi to me over at www.crafthippy.com if you like and look forward to seeing you there. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  25. it's lovely Jacquie, you must have had such freedom growing up here! it really tells a story, Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow this is lovely! Wish I could draw like you.

    Luv Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow this is lovely! Wish I could draw like you.

    Luv Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. It's charming I love the detail you have added and it's so nice to see the creative process from initial sketch to finished drawing. Keep up the good work.... Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love to read all the stories connected with your drawings......thank you!!!!
    xxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your drawings are sooo beautiful. I follow your blog regularly and love it. You have inspired me to get my sketch pad out, thank you x

    Esther. Http://baggaleycottagecrochet.wordpress.com/
    Formally - handmadewithlove-esther

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is my favourite too, you can see how much you love your past home in this picture, it jumps out at you! Well done x I love all the little past pets too :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I like your drawings! They are so full of colors!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I really look forward to seeing your pictures. Its a lovely way to record memories too - I have never thought of drawing as being a way of doing this and I think its a fantastic idea. I would gladly put any of your pictures on my wall and enjoy all those little details you include. Lily. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  34. So lovely you present us your childhood. I love it,and want to do the same. I have little pictures from mychildhood. So that is hvat I must do. Draw it. You are so clever. Make a book of it.
    Hug

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh Jacqui, you are getting better and better and better....superb...D x

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love your drawings and you are growing in confidence with everyone of them! I adore the way you draw cats. :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I really love this drawing. You get a feel of how beautiful it must have been. I love the details and I love, love, love Yorkshire.
    You've done a wonderful job!

    Much love,
    Margaret
    The Netherlands

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh Wow Jacqui, What a beautiful drawing! I feel like I have been drawn right into the picture. Stunning! Who could get sick of seeing your drawings??!! I am loving watching your progress. Please keep sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Really lovely, you can feel how happy you were growing up by the picture.

    I love it,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  40. QUE LINDO!!PARABÉNS.BOA QUINTA.VALÉRIA.

    ReplyDelete
  41. LOVE it! So enjoying your entire blog. Thank you for the time and effort that goes into sharing with us ... it's very uplifting and inspiring.

    Sharon in Alabama (USA)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Another lovely drawing. Your talent is blossoming.

    ReplyDelete
  43. This one is my favorite so far too~
    All of these drawings would make beautiful note cards! You've got enough for a nice set now!
    Love all the animals!

    ReplyDelete
  44. You're getting so confident with your drawings! Love the colours in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Wow, you are so talented! :) I love all your wonderful drawings.
    Kjempeflott! :)
    - KristiN -

    ReplyDelete
  46. That's a lovely drawing of your childhood home and I like the extra touches you have added. I took my drawing pad when we went away last week and enjoyed drawing some of the buildings around where we were staying, so thank you for inspiring me!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  47. I love your unique style of drawing.
    Brilliant always love your pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  48. Oh my gosh, I'm loving all of your drawings!! This one is particularly sweet being attached to lovely memories. The little details that you add make your pictures so enjoyable to view!! I've always wanted to be an artist and your endeavors have inspired me so much!! I love when you share your art, so please don't stop!!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Another great piece. When the coloured n drawing was revealed I said Oh! Out loud, because it was so full of light. Then I read how you had created the effect. It is really beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete
  50. I love this piece. May I use it for my PC desktop?

    ReplyDelete
  51. I too love your drawings and this time showing your memories. I enjoy the story you tell in the drawing and of course your accompanying words. Thankyou for sharing your story! Keep it up! Love Mrs A

    ReplyDelete
  52. I am totally loving seeing your lovely drawings. I think this is my favourite so far. I love all the little details. Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  53. Love the drawing, Jacquie. They are so pretty and colorful. I think I like best is the fact that there is a story behind each one and you tell us that story. Thanks for sharing.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  54. I think you should write children's stories. "Lottie was a good mother cat, she had 2 kitties and they lived in a house....."
    I'm already retired, but when I see your drawings, it brings out the hidden child in me that I had forgotten about. You are so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Jacquie! I want to see these drawings out of your sketch book and on the wall!! You could even fashion a crochet frame cover and combine your two creative talents x

    ReplyDelete
  56. I too love your drawings (and crochet) Jacquie and agree that they would match beautifully with lovely stories. It is so nice seeing and hearing people enjoy what they do. You really are and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  57. This drawing made me feel all warm and fuzzy...what a lovely childhood home.
    xx Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  58. Lovely drawings, would make nice greeting cards :)We live in Yorkshire and its beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  59. I am totally amazed...I loved the last piece you did and also this one. If you ever decide to sell these as cards(note cards?) I'm sure they would go gang busters!!!

    ReplyDelete
  60. I found your blog because of crochet, but I love looking at your drawings, so do please keep sharing them. They remind me of children's picture books. I like how you explain them. I also like trying to find Tom tit in each drawing!

    Your childhood home does seem idyllic for a young child. How lucky you were to have grown up there!

    ReplyDelete
  61. This is so lovely! I hope you will frame it ... it deserves to be on your wall. Thanks so much for showing us the details and letting us into a bit of your life. Such a happy drawing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  62. I love the picture and your description.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Thank you so much for all the details in how you create your lovely drawings. I am so impressed!! Now I have enough information so I might start drawing a little myself. I love details, so this should fit right in with my nature. Keep posting them...I love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  64. Jacquie,
    I just love to see your drawings! They´re so vivid and full of energy as all the other things you do in your life; this is the impression that I get.
    I´ve crocheted your lovely owl and I love it! I´d invite you to take a look: http://linhasimaginarias.blogspot.com.br/2013/04/encorujada.html
    best regards,
    from Brazil

    ReplyDelete
  65. It's enchanting. You really do have a talent. You know, I quite like the black and white version before the colour is added too.
    Gillian x

    ReplyDelete
  66. I love this drawing...the colors, the detail, and all the pets! Great job! :o)
    Gigi

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.