Tuesday 7 January 2014

How I make Yorkshire Puddings

Hello Lovelies,
Thank you so much for your comments on my Yorkshire puddings. I took some photos as I made them on Sunday with the idea that I might share a "how-to"  for any of you lovelies who are interested.

I wonder if Yorkshire puddings are a worldwide thing? In case you are wondering about them , they are basically oven cooked batter that is supposed to puff up and be light and fluffy. They are then usually  served as part of a Roast dinner.

For years I bought frozen, ready made ones as my own attempts were so awful. But a couple of years ago, when they had gone up in price again, I decided it was time to master making them from scratch.

My method is an adaptation of Delias version  that gives me the right amount for five of us and reliable results.
I always start my Roast dinner preparation by making the Yorkshire pudding batter as it benefits from chilling a while in the fridge.


First accurately measure out 4 ounces  of Plain Flour into a bowl , I don't bother sifting it. Then add a pinch of salt and pepper.
Next add 2 Large  eggs, medium  will do if that's what you have, mix with a fork



Accurately measure out 4 fluid ounces of milk ( I use semi skimmed ) and add 3 fluid ounces of cold water. I weigh this out rather than using the lines on my jug.

Gradually add this mix to the flour and eggs, mixing with a folk.



Next whisk with a hand whisk to make a smooth batter. I like to  pour the mixture into a jug and whisk it some more, rolling the handle of the whisk between my palms to get some speed.

Your batter should be the consistency of single cream and have lots of little bubbles on the surface like this........



Then pop the jug in the fridge till you are ready for it.........



To get your Yorkshires to rise the fat you use needs to be preheated in a hot oven. In my fan oven 200 degrees Celsius is hot enough, but 210 degrees is even better.

I make individual puddings in  a muffin tin. Sorry about the state of this tin....they do get stained with the hot oil.
At least half an hour before you need them , put a small amount of oil ( I use sunflower oil) or fat into each section, you really don't need much.......


Then fifteen minutes before you need them carefully remove the tin from the oven. Get the batter out of the fridge and give it another quick whisk.

 Pour out the batter, dividing it equally into each section. Then return the tin to the oven ( top shelf) straight away ..........



Mine take fifteen minutes, or slightly longer to cook, but I don't open the oven door before fifteen minutes.......


Don't be disappointed if it takes a few attempts to get great results. But hopefully if you follow these tips you will get light, fluffy Yorkshires first go :0)

Enjoy!

Jacquie x

30 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, I might give them a go for tea tonight. It will be a treat for the kids as it is their first day back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea for a post Jacquie. In America they are called popovers and are not necessarily served as a savoury item, sometimes they are sweet! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look very yummy! 2 eggs, is the secret, I think. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look good.
    Julie xxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum thanks for the tips I shall give them a try x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Occasionally my dad would do Yorkshire puds with our Sunday roast. He'd do it in the pan with the meat so they cop bits off the roast and all the flavour from the onions and pan juices. His would need to be cut out of the pan.
    However, of what I remember of the method, yours and his is pretty similar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Feeling very guilty now for buying "Aunt Bessie's" (hangs head in shame). Your Yorkshires look wonderful:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have book marked this!!

    Wish me luck on Sunday ;)

    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy. I love your kids and will try these SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yummy Yorkshires! thanks for sharing your method will have to give it a go soon x

    ReplyDelete
  11. We love making them too Jacquie, I find they freeze quite well and are convenient if you don't have the time to make them. They are a must with our bangers and mash too x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for this - I'm going to make these this weekend when we have Sunday roast with the in-laws! Looks like I'll be scoring some points... ;-) Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  13. They do look very good Jacquie! There's nothing quite like roast beef and yorkshires with lashings of horseradish on the side. Yum, Yum :O)xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love yorkshire puddings, I had one once many, many moons ago in a pub filled with a chicken curry. It was lovely. I would love to try it at home but the other half looks at me daft when I suggest it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous how-to, thank you!! I've never even tried to make them as I never roast beef at all, not sure why though. Will def remedy that and give it a go!
    Lx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Jacquie,

    I am a South African now living in England and Yorkshire puddings are known and made in South Africa! That could be because of the Colonial history we have. I have always made my own Yorkshires, first out of necessity as there are no such thing as frozen Yorkshires in South Africa (at least none that I have ever come across), and I still make them now simply because it's the way I've always done them. We all love Yorkshires, a roast is not quite complete without them :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for this post.
    I will definetly try this.
    I've heard a lot about yorkshire puddings but have never tried it.
    It's is no worldwide thing. They are absolutely unknown in the german kitchen.
    I might post this recipe translated on my blog if that is okay with you.

    Bianca

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never made nor eaten them myself but I'd like to try them. I did know an older lady once who made them, I think her parents had come from England. She also called an argument a "row," which was the first place I'd ever heard that word. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I use the same recipe and it never fails. Sometimes I add a teaspoon of mustard powder to the mix or horseradish sauce to give them a kick. Hubby likes to have two, one with dinner and one for afterwards with jam!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ok, maybe I need to give these another go... slay my Yorkshire pud demons???! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have only got better at them the more I make, I still can't master the one big one though!

    ReplyDelete
  22. If you dont want to do all the weighing of ingredients you can use 1 cup flour 1 cup milk or half milk half water, 3 eggs pinch salt.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love Yorkshires, as I hail from God's own county ;) I used to make them every Sunday when I lived at home, and never went near a measuring jug or weighing scales - not sure I could do that quite so confidently now!!!

    Yours look fantastic (And are making me hungry...)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Okay. I did it and at 5000 feet above sea level. They turned out perfectly gorgeous! No one can fail at your recipe.
    Q. What's the Pudding part all about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi , so glad that were a success :0)
      Pudding can mean desert or a savoury dish here....like suet pudding or black pudding.
      Yokrshires can also be served sweet and eaten as a pudding with jam.
      Jacquie x

      Delete
  25. Thank you. Very interesting. I happened to dip it in the beef gravy. That was pudding for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Don't know why but I'm missing a lot of your posts in my Wordpress Reader - so glad I looked back through as I'd not seen this one. These Yorkshires are amazing! And I love that you allow for 15 between 5 of you - 3 Yorkshires each is my kind of roast dinner :)
    Jones x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, I love Yorkshire puddings! I have not had one in almost 40 years. They are generally not found in the US anymore. My grandmother used to make them when she cooked a roast beef for the family and pour the drippings over the puddings. I LOVED them! No one else I have ever known has made them and I have never attempted since Grandma passed about 33 yrs ago. I saw an earlier comment mentioned popovers but any popovers I have had here in the US were not the same as the Yorkshire puddings I have had. They do look much simpler than I thought they would be and I am now inspired to make some! Thanks so much for this. (I have recently found your blog via Andamento and am working my way backwards thru it and this is as far as I have gotten as yet)

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.